Sunday 25 June 2023

Morning, Noon, And Night

By the west door of Norwich Cathedral is a statue of a woman holding a book. It was carved by the gifted sculptor David Holgate. It depicts St Julian of Norwich, and the book in her hand is "Revelations of Divine Love" - this is the first known book written in English by a woman. It describes her "shewings" - the God- given visions she received in May 1373. This year there have been celebrations of her life and writing - a 650 year anniversary!

I have been intending to read up more about this lady - and then picked up a tiny book for 20p at a Car Boot Sale last month. Subtitled "30 days with a great spiritual teacher", the section for each day is divided into four;

  1. My day begins - a passage from her writings to meditate upon
  2. All through the day - one sentence to carry in your head and apply to your activities
  3. My day is ending - a few questions, challenging you to see how what you read has been pertinent to your experience
  4. Night prayer - another brief, and connected thought on the day's theme.
The title "All will be well" comes from what is probably Julian's most famous saying [see here]
OK, It is not my usual theological/devotional style, and I haven't properly got into the discipline of doing it studiously for a month yet. However, on some days I have dipped into the book and it has proved thought provoking and challenging. Even 6½ centuries later, her words resonate. For the 23rd of the month [Friday] the thought 'all through the day' was He has made his home and eternal dwelling within us. 
It has been another challenging week here in the Close - two elderly neighbours, back from hospital but struggling to adjust; one neighbour back into hospital again, after a number of difficult days and visits from paramedics; and one neighbour died, leaving behind a grieving widow.  Friday's Night Prayer felt particularly apposite 
Lord Jesus
I am honoured
to have you make my spirit your dwelling place
May my actions toward my neighbours
always mirror your love.

There are a lot of terrible things going on out there in the big wide world, right now. The comments on yesterday's post [thank you all] show that many of you are saddened by these things. I cannot do much about most of them - but I am called to love my neighbours, here in my small corner. 




16 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your elderly neighbors. We can only do what we can and, often, it is something local, starting with our family and neighbors. I don't necessarily love some of my neighbors, but, I do feed their chicken who spends its day in my garden and I tolerate their amplified music blaring till the wee hours in the morning without calling the police on them. And I turn my pavers over when they spill their motor oil on them - not quite turning the other cheek, but, in my religion, we are called on to have compassion and loving kindness, not love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compassion and loving kindness are so important. And we can show care and love, but we do not always LIKE people!

      Delete
  2. You love your neighbours, near and far Ang. Kxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing that little book must be.
    I read her original book, found it quite a challenge tbh , but that was a lot of years ago now, I'll perhaps look out for a second hand copy and give it another go.

    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect that in small chunks, she is easier to digest

    ReplyDelete
  5. AbeBooks has it for around £4 Inc postage. Or you could leave it a month or two and I'll send you my copy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And all will be well. an abiding and hopeful thought.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your neighbours and their difficulties. Such a loss for the one who is widowed. Julian of Norwich will always be remembered for "all shall be well...." not that all will go well, but it does reassure us about the bigger picture. I've read her book twice, certainly a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am impressed by someone who has read it once - but twice is amazing

      Delete
  8. It's a difficult time for the world, but I think it has always been thus. Or at least, where humans are concerned. I'm so sorry for your neighbors hardships. Being there for them is your gift to them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a good neighbour you are, Ang. I bet it is a lovely community to be part of. Nicky K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the residents have lived in the Close for many years, so are genuinely concerned for one another. It is good to be part of a village community

      Delete
  10. How right you are about the world and the need for love. Sometimes we can feel overwhelmed, but I believe we each have a special calling. As we sang as little children " Jesus bids us shine, you in your small corner, and I in mine". Love Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Isabel! Small things with great love

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!