Sunday 4 June 2023

Forty Five Years Ago

Great Aunt Amy's Desk Calendar from the 1920s. It is showing today's date. Actually it always shows Sunday 4th June, because this is the date on which we met in 1978. It was 8pm, and the communion service at Spicer Street Chapel St Albans had just finished.
The tall bloke in the brown leather jacket turned round to the short girl in the pew behind, looked at her college sweatshirt and said "Not another teacher?!"
The rest is history...
He was working as an electronics design engineer at Marconi Instruments, I was teaching [maths and RE] in Grove Hill Comprehensive, Hemel Hempstead.
Neither of us had a 'significant other' nor were we looking for one. Within three months we were engaged. We married on 25th August 1979, so next year will be our Sapphire Anniversary. When we got engaged, my Dad sent us a verse from Song Of Solomon chapter 8. Here it is in a modern translation...

Love is invincible facing danger and death. Passion laughs at the terrors of hell. The fire of love stops at nothing— it sweeps everything before it. Flood waters can’t drown love, torrents of rain can’t put it out. Love can’t be bought, love can’t be sold— it’s not to be found in the marketplace. 

I am truly grateful to God for 45 years with this wonderful man who is more loving and patient as the years go by. Each day brings new joys, challenges and surprises - and faith, family and friends remain the cornerstones of our life together.




26 comments:

  1. Your love for each other shines through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky are those of us who find a wonderful partner at an early age. I met Norrie in June 1970 exactly one week after I graduated as a teacher and we married in December 1971. He is my husband, my best friend and I love him just as much today as I did then. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❣️a wonderful story - God bless you both 💕

      Delete
  3. Happy anniversary to you both xx Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really lovely, bless you both. We met at the end of an Easter Sunday morning service in 1968. I was in a visiting choir and my husband was in the congregation. Like you,we were engaged 3months later. Like you I married the kindest of men, and we have been married for54 years, and I am thankful that the "marry in haste--" wasn't our experience. Your love for each other shines through. When I saw the post I hope you don't mind me mentioning our similar early engagement. God bless, love Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's lovely!! The first time my Dad saw my Mum was when he visited her church and she was singing in the choir. (in a crimson red hat) ❤️

      Delete
  5. Isn't it lovely to look back at how young you both were when that first spark of love was catching fire? The verse from the Song of Solomon is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So young! But still in love now we are old!! ❤️

      Delete
  6. God called my wonderful man home on March 25th. We had 32 years together and our two children have grown and flown
    I miss him beyond measure
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siobhan, I am so sorry for your loss, but glad you have happy memories. To find yourself alone after so many years must be very hard. God bless you in this new stage of your life, and comfort you in your loneliness ❤️

      Delete
  7. I love that the date on the perpetual calendar always shows the day you met, that is so romantic. You were blessed to have found each other all those years, and had each other for so long. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thomas Hardy kept his desk calendar set at the date he met his wife -
      I thought it was a good idea, worth copying !❤️

      Delete
  8. How lovely. What you have together is rather rare and very precious x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very precious, never taken for granted❤️

      Delete
  9. I couldn't have a date calendar like you as I don't remember it, just the occasion! We were engaged a few months later and married a few months after that, all just before my 21st birthday. It will be 46 years in September.
    Congratulations and I hope you have a lovely day together

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet! Happy Anniversary of your 1st meeting! Yes, love is forever!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely story! Happy "1st meeting" anniversay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, that's a lovely story! A very happy anniversary to you and Bob! Kxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, those heady, carefree '70's days! Happy Anniversary to you both.x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!