Saturday 17 June 2023

Earnest Hemming Day*

The end of term approaches. This year I'm not involved in School Plays - but I AM helping out two teenagers with their Prom Dresses. As usual the frocks are too long, and even with their new high heels [which they are not used to wearing] the hems are trailing on the floor. So I'm adjusting the length
There are five layers to each gown. Three outer layers of floaty tulle, two inside layers of opaque soft satiny fabric. In my childhood this was call Art Silk. I was so disappointed when I discovered that meant artificial. Nowadays I can't decide which is worse - weaving non biodegradable acrylic, or boiling poor little silkworm cocoons.
There are metres and metres of fabric to be trimmed away - a 10cm strip round the bottom of each layer. 


Fortunately the tulle does not need to be hemmed, just trimmed. The silk frays, and even with a Teflon foot, it's hard to control the machine. So I prefer to hand stitch. Slower, but you get a better finish.
Top Tips:
  1. Get the wearer to stand on a stool [or her Dad's work platform!] so that the dress hangs right down and measuring is easier
  2. "Pin" the hem of the lining layers level with the bottom of her heel, so it clears the floor and won't get caught by the heel of the shoes. 
  3. Use knitting clips or clothes pegs rather than pins which may snag the fabric. 
  4. Make sure scissors are sharp
  5. Hang the dress from a high hook [or curtain rail] gather up ALL the layers except the innermost, clip them out of the way and sort 1st layer. Then let down layer #2, etc, until you finally get to trimming layer #5. It looks odd, while you're doing it, but it works. 
  6. Have plenty of space to drape dress whilst you are pinning hems - I stand at the sofa, and drape the rest of the dress over the sofa. When I'm handstitching, I put the hem on my lap, and the rest of the dress is spread out on the coffee table in front of me to support the weight. 
  7. Remind wearer to practise wearing the shoes round the house in the week before, and also to sort out underwear. Stick on bras are very popular. [Anne Summers, 3 pairs of cups for £6 are good value, especially if there are a group of you]
This is going to be a busy Saturday as I complete the task. I'm glad I can contribute to their special evening. As the song says... Momma's little baby loves shortening! 
*I couldn't resist this play on words either 


20 comments:

  1. You know Ang, I think that heading is one of your worst puns ever. And you always maintain a high standard in these things. (Love 'em!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m not sure I could tackle a task like this any more- my nerves would be shot! Well done on helping two young ladies to enjoy their prom safely. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Earnest" doesn't begin to describe the level of concentration this task is demanding of me! I'm not surprised that the dress agencies round here charge upwards of £50 for alterations

      Delete
  3. Stick on bras???? Prom dresses are lovely, but not so easy to alter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They give support without straps! Twenty years ago, when Steph had a Saturday job in the haberdashery shop, they sold "toupee tape" , and people used that as it would adhere to the skin AND hold the dress in place. (But it was always referred to as "tit tape" by the staff)

      Delete
  4. Earnest Hemming Day, in deed! :D
    Reminds of when I had to shorten the bridesmaids dresses my daughter and her friend wore a few years back and daughter needed hers shortened a second time (without cutting any fabric off) to wear with flat shoes for another friend's wedding and still be able to wear with high heels if she needed to! Those dresses, too, had two satiny underskirts and a chiffon type over skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Mum standing my two little bridesmaids on the dining table while she got their hems to match.
    Another prom tip, which I had to tell my goddaughter - when having your hair and makeup done, wear a button through blouse, not a tight t shirt, otherwise getting changed later is going to be interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stick on bras sound a good idea - never had occasion to wear one myself: )
    Your dressmaking talents are amazing, and your patience!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd worry it might lose it's stickiness in the course of a warm summer evening... I like my "underpinnings" to feel secure!

      Delete
  7. Well, that was a fun video which couldn't help but make a person hop around a bit even before having the first cup of tea of the morning. How you ever find these links is beyond me.
    Well done on the sewing project, I hope the young ones have a great time! JanF

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're earning stars for your crown along with the eternal thanks of the girls, their parents and their grandparents!
    I do remember that soung!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like the punny title! This is a terrifying job! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much harder than Sarah Jane's Dungarees, I agree

      Delete
  10. What a lot of work shortening those gowns! But I suspect it is a labour of love.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!