Monday 19 June 2023

Proceeding From The Heat-Oppressed Brain

 I really do not handle hot weather very well. It is too hot for me to think straight. In times like these, I'm grateful the Lord did not call me to be a missionary in hotter climes. Meals are easy, I'm not going to slave over a boiling stove. Fortunately Bob enjoys cooking some meat on the bbq while I toss a cool salad. Or we have a simple one pot dish which cooks itself. Months ago I ripped a Yotam recipe out of a magazine, and we enjoyed for lunch after church [total time at stove around 5 minutes at the start of prep, and another 5 cooking a couple of flatbread. 
I love it when mine looks like the picture - and tastes good! 
Yesterday was really busy. Church in the morning included an AGM [We gave our report on holiday club] Then Bob went to the Hospice for one of their regular memorial services. In the evening, the Installation of the new vicar in our village [Rachael and I have already become friends, we have heaps in common]
 After lunch, I indulged myself in 100 minutes of pure nostalgia on BBC 2. 
I love C S Forester's books, and the film of 

The African Queen is a classic. Katherine Hepburn as the upright, tea drinking Edwardian maiden missionary, paired with Humphrey Bogart as the gruff, gin-drinking dissolute steamer captain. Fabulous cinema! 
At the beginning of the film, Hepburn is playing the harmonium at the mission station where her saintly, caring brother is preaching. And as I sat dozing in the summer afternoon, I suddenly noticed an alarming resemblance between the late actor Robert Morley and someone else much in the news lately... 
I'd only been drinking tea, not gin, I promise you... 




22 comments:

  1. I'm not getting the resemblance! I don't know that film at all! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too young, Kezzie! Us oldies remember RM in a number of films - often playing an overweight, amiable buffoon

      Delete
  2. P.S. your Ottolenghi recipe looks good!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry the weather is too hot for you, Angela. I am still waiting for it to warm up, over here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a better tolerance of heat than I do, Bless

      Delete
  4. What a lovely way to spend an overly warm afternoon. My workrate has slowed down to a snail’s pace and there are so many things I need to be doing! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow and steady is better than hot and bothered...🐌🐌🐌

      Delete
  5. It's way too hot for me as well, although Alan is basking in it every day, with a bit of work at his desk when necessary. I've not watched The African Queen for years, what a brilliant classic film, and what a good excuse to sit in the cool of the house for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a hard time wanting to cook or bake in the hot summer. I rely a lot on one pot meals or salads. Sounds like a wonderful afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't function very well in prolonged heatwaves, thankfully it's cooler here today although still nice and sunny.
    I love that film, lost count of how many times I've seen it - a real classic.
    I think at one time lots of folk had hopes that BJ would be a good leader ........ a real Statesman......at one time........:-)
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love The African Queen but not hot weather. It seems as I get older, hot weather is far less pleasant than it used to be.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robert Morley! A blast from the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Movie Encyclopedia, film critic Leonard Maltin describes Morley as "recognisable by his ungainly bulk... thick lips and double chin, ... particularly effective when cast as a pompous windbag."

      Delete
  10. I looked up that recipe and it sounds delicious, worth trying. Our current nostalgia has been watching an episode of the original "All Creatures Great and Small" every evening after supper. As for Boris, his hairdo reminds me of the puppet Casey when I used to watch Mr. Dressup with our son, but Casey was a much more likeable character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ACG&S was a brilliant series in the 1970s - the recent remake has been good too, I think

      Delete
  11. Tha African Queen is one of my favorite movies. Great actors and great story. I'll stay well clear of making any comparisons! It's very hot and muggy here. We finally got some much needed rain last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we had rain late yesterday evening too

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!