Saturday 10 June 2023

String Theory

Back in March we did macramé at our Monday craft group. Janet said she would do a workshop and we could make plant-holders.  We needed string, beads, a hanging ring, and a pot. I had the ring and beads in my stash, and bought a ball of thick green cotton string. And I had three colourful large empty tins which I had kept, convinced that one day they would find another purpose.



Once I'd got the hang of it, I would make more plant holders and these could hang outside with some sort of tumbling foliage...
At the end of the session, I was about halfway through my hanger. I put the bits in the tin, and fully intended to finish it later. But family trips to Essex, Holiday Club, the Coronation, and Scotland all got in the way.
Finally having posted off my cross stitch and completed another sewing task [to be revealed next week] I got out the project. It had been quietly entangling itself as it languished on the windowsill. And as I looked at it, I could not remember anything Janet had taught me! I was sure we'd had a worksheet, but that was not in the tin.
I found this book in Dereham library, came home, and spread everything out on the garden table. Fanny Zedenius is a young Swedish fibre artist, on Instagram and a website, Createaholic. More to the point, the book had easy to follow instructions and clear diagrams for the basic macramé knots. I managed to complete the plant hanger from my tangled string.
I've put a houseplant in temporarily and hung it up by the old garage. A couple of years ago I posted about the resurgence of interest in macramé and said I thought this was a craft I would leave to others. Honestly? Yes, this escapade has convinced me to leave well alone! having struggled to master** RFSKs, RTHSKs, and WKs . I am going back to my knitting, where K1, P1, tbl and psso are terms I know by heart, and my fingers have a 'muscle memory' for.

Are you into macramé ?




[**Right facing square knot, Right twisting half square knot, wrap knot, and of course, knit 1, purl 1, through back of loop, pass slipped stitch over]









29 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of restarting macrame as a hobby, my eyesight has deteriorated so I can no longer knit or sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chunky string is pleasant to work with

      Delete
  2. Ahhhh macrame! It was a thing back in 1970s? 1980s? My mother in law showed me, so that must have been early 1980s, and I made some plant holders, long gone now. Crochet works quite well too for plant hangers but I can't remember how I made one. A sort of net bag, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to pursue this one. Embroidery is my big thing at the minute, as you well know!

      Delete
  3. Well done finishing up your macrame project! I learned to do macrame in the 1970s, when it was so popular. I haven't done much since then, however, making a few plant hangers from time to time using just a few simple knots, nothing very elaborate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do not have the places to hang things in the bungalow so won't make any more

      Delete
  4. I bought a pattern from Hobbycraft last year for a wallhanging, convinced it was crochet! Of course the macrame instructions inside left me completely bewildered since it had been so long that I'd tackled macrame, so I proceeded to convert into crochet as a gift for my sister (well it wasn't meant to be but it was hard to refuse her once she was walking out the door with it hanging over her arm!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well done on the conversion - and for gifting it to your sister!

      Delete
  5. Hmmmm, I wonder what sewing protect THAT could be???😊
    I get in such a middle with thread-based crafts that I am quite sure Macrame is not for ne, though I like the idea! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And WHO is the project for ...

      Delete
    2. Tee hee! I have begin to begin charting, if you see what I mean...

      Delete
    3. No K, the project mentioned above is for my OTHER blogfriend K

      Delete
  6. I'm with you on this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks perfect to me Angela, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to a workshop last year and remembered that I like to look at macrame but not do it! Another woman sitting next to me completed mine and I gave it to her to take home. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a great story - and let's face it, if she did the work, she earned it!!

      Delete
  9. I missed yesterday's blogs while dealing with things like a flat tire, and finding a helpful lady who took me home! I would like to make some gluten free bread for our family, I couldn't find the flour for a while but it seems to be back in the store. As for macrame, I was busy with that in the 70s and even designed a full length wall hanging at least 3 ft long. Our cat used to bat the beads hanging at the bottom of it. I still have a small wall hanging and a plant hanger I made. Later I used old garden chair frames and made macrame seats and backs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the flat tyre, glad somebody helped out. In sure the wall hangings must get dusty after a while

      Delete
  10. It looks beautiful and very good for your first attempt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri - but it is not a craft I shall pursue

      Delete
  11. Oh goodness, I think macrame is probably outside my skill set too!
    I like to crochet occasionally, can knit but don't, sew a little but no real skill, currently enjoying making cards and painting pebbles!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really admire people who paint pebbles. I'm not at all good with delicate paintbrush work.

      Delete
  12. Great idea using the tins like that. I too did macrame in the 70s and probably will not do a project of any size again. I did see an idea for making hangers for Easter eggs and I have a few stone ones so maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid if I hung large stone eggs anywhere the grandchildren might start re-enacting David and Goliath and slingshots

      Delete
    2. That's a very funny comment, Ang, and I burst out laughing before I noticed it was from you! JanF

      Delete
  13. Well done on finishing your macrame and I suggest you spray paint yur potting can for a more finished look.
    SH did macrame back in the 1970s but I believe I'll stick to making u quilts!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole thing has just blown off the hook. The plant is well and truly finished now!!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!