Wednesday 14 June 2023

Tardis Tuesday [On A Wednesday!]

[This post was delayed, because yesterday was Jessie's birthday]

If you follow Kezzie's delightful Blog you will know that she is into "Dr Who Cosplay" - finding outfits to match the various characters in this long running TV series [It celebrates sixty years this year- way before K was even born!] Because I love sewing, and working on costumes, down the years I've tweaked quite a few garments for her, including these...

In 2015, I loved doing the ? on the collar, and the red collar band, for the shirt worn by the 5th Dr, and also Petronella Osgood

And then in 2019 there was the challenge of turning the green collarless dress into the screen accurate dress with collar and short sleeves for Clara.


This year I've had two challenges from Kezzie - to produce the logo on the back of an Ace jacket, and recreate Sarah-Janes 'Andy-Pandy style dungarees. Kezzie sent me a plain black jacket. I made the logo as a patch using fabric and bondaweb, edged with satin stitch on the machine, Then I stitched it in place by hand.

The patch can be easily removed if Kezzie wants just a plain jacket. I am glad she didn't want me to recreate all the badges from the front.



The dungarees were perhaps the most challenging. Kezzie supplied a pair of candy strip dungarees- but they had spaghetti straps, straight legs, and simple pockets. To be screen accurate, they needed wide straps and dungaree clips, ties at the waist, patch pockets outlined in red piping and red piping and stars on the bib, as well as gathered ankles.
I took off the thin straps and put them at the waist, piped 'faux' pockets, made straps from a similar fabric, piped a rectangle on the bib and then used my embroidery machine to create 2 stars which I handstitched in place. And threaded elastic through the ankle hems;
I am really happy with this one - everything I needed for the alterations to these two garments were already in my stash. The only thing I needed was the software for my embroidery machine to create the stars.For £3 in Etsy I got a great pattern which has 2 styles of 5 point stars, a 4 point [Star Trek style] star, and a 3 point star [as per Mercedes logo] - and these all come in 9 sizes. So I hope to get lots of use out of this star pattern.
I am looking forward to seeing pictures of Kezzie in her new outfits.

Top Tip if you are going round the edge of a patch in satin stitch, you may find that the machine does not stitch evenly and you get lumpy sections. Instead of using wide zigzag with shortest stitch length, use a slightly longer stitch length and just go round twice. 
In 1984 when I was pregnant with Steph, I made some red and white striped maternity dungarees just like this, and a mini matching pair for 2 year old Liz. Sadly we have no photos of these outfits!




23 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Sixty years. I remember hiding behind sofa during the first episode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always laugh when people mention hiding behind the sofa as my household sofas were always pressed up against a wall so this dubious method of escape was never an option!
    You've done SUCH a good job Ang! I think these two are masterpieces!
    You forgot 3 projects- you added navy scallops to a skirt, a pleated collar to two tops and you removed a piece of floral fabric which acted as a fake shirt from a sweater (& used that fabric to line the collar of the polka dot dress!)
    Thank you so much!
    I've worn my jacket in public already but not the dungarees as it was too hot at the weekend! Can't wait to though! The dungarees will also be brilliant at mu music camp when there's a dungaree photo- no one will have any like mine- they all have Lucy and Yak! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kezzie! I'm so pleased you like the garments. Dungarees are a good garment for camping too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, that '80's maternity gear!I remember it well. You could have a rare wee business going there with the talents you have for rejigging stuff, Ang. Amazing results.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love making things more fit-for-purpose. Just had enormous fun with a young friend's Prom Dress (too long, and gaping at the bust!) But I prefer to just do it for friends - I think I want to enjoy retirement, not start a business!

      Delete
  5. You are truly skilled at adaptation and upcycling. I enjoy making do and mending but like you I only do it for friends and family. CAtriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I didn't restrict , it could take over!!

      Delete
  6. I remember my maternity dungarees; they were Enormous! I'm bowled over by your skill,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant outfit recreations, well done.

    Yep, I'm another who hid during the original Dr Who episodes, no wonder if it's been going for 60 years I would have only been 3. We didn't have a sofa so I had to make do with a wooden framed armchair to protect me from the Daleks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It clearly worked, you are still with us!!

      Delete
  8. That is such fun and so clever
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done, Ang! Applause, applause!
    60 years?? WOW!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your expertise as a seamstress is worth sharing with others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did such a great job with the cosplay outfits! My daughter is into cosplay, too, and creates her own outfits from items she has in her closet or finds in thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ang, your skills are wonderful! I am so proud to call you a friend! JanF

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!