Tuesday 7 May 2013

There’s A Famous Seaside Place…

…called Blackpool

And over the weekend, about two thousand Christians met there for the Annual Baptist Assembly. We stayed in the Norbreck Hotel

norbreck-2013

I will not say too much right now about the NH – other than at every evening meal, we were served something which Bob referred to as “John Lewis Vegetables” because they were “never knowingly under-cooked”!

I was remarkably lazy about photography – Bob took this picture

DSCF5465

This is me with my very dear friend Elsie- who is 92. Last time I saw her was in Blackpool two years ago

DSCF1451

I think she looks very good for her age [but I really must get myself a different jacket before next year’s assembly – this pink one was £8 from a PerUna sale in 2005!] Read more about Elsie here

ernieI saw loads of friends, and was especially delighted to meet up with cousin Ollie and her husband Phil for the first time in ages. They were there to see this guy, their brother-in-law, Rev Ernie Whalley, become the President of the Baptist Union  [no, my cousin is not called Ollie Whalley, that would just be silly]

As with all good conferences, it takes a little while for everything to fall into place- we heard some great speakers and came away with lots to think about. I have all sorts of random notes in my Filofax about things to do, people to contact.

chris jonesI am very grateful to Christina Carter and her team for working so hard to raise the profile of Connexion and keeping on with things, despite the loss of our dear friend Christine Jones a few weeks ago. We really missed her smiling face and her loving encouragement.

There were some high points, and low points, and some very funny moments. We sang one of my favourite songs from childhood on Sunday night

Jesus loves me! this I know,
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong;
they are weak but He is strong.
Yes, Jesus loves me! Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me! The Bible tells me so.

I have retained my fondness for this one, as I have remained small of stature. But then we sang another verse – and I confess I did poke Bob in the ribs when these words went up on the screen…

Jesus loves me, this I know,
Though my hair is white as snow.
Though my sight is growing dim,
Still He bids me trust in him.

I will probably say more about our weekend later. I hope all of you had a good Bank Holiday Weekend too!

6 comments:

  1. The gathering of friends in any sphere,
    the reacquainting and exchanging
    of warm words, always a tonic.

    Thank you for sharing your energy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We stayed in that hotel when I was about 8 for a weekend bus trip to the lights that my mum had organised for some local OAPs. We have a permanent reminder of the trip on my UJ's sitting room wall because there was an artist there that weekend who took photos and then recreated one's portrait in pastels...my sister and I in grey pinafores with pink blouses. I also remember the seeming vastness of that hotel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the jacket! I have a dark green cord one that may well be Per Una; it is certainly M&S. I got it to wear at Jo's baptism, so that must be 2005- mine still going strong too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that song from Sunday School, I don't remember the other verse though.
    Hope you managed to enjoy a walk along the prom and soak up some of the wonderful sunshine we had.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Singing "Jesus Loves Me" always brings tears to my eyes - don't know why.

    I'm glad you had such a pleasant time there and were able to meet up with dear friends. Elsie does look good. (And I like your pink jacket.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We stayed in this Hotel in December for my sons dance competition, all I will say is, never again.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!