Monday 13 May 2013

To Boldly Go…

…to the cinema on a Monday afternoon. There were a dozen of us in Screen 6 – it did seem that half were excited looking blokes, and half were indulgent women. At least, that was how Bob described them!

“Star Trek-Into Darkness” is really a bloke film, I think. But I had been given a cinema gift voucher, and knew Bob wanted to see the film [and I do like Benedict Cumberbatch myself…]

There are no plot spoilers in this post!

star trek ID1

Despite not being a Trekkie, I have to admit that I did enjoy the film and found some parts very clever, other bits quite witty. But it does have an awful lot of references, both subtle and blatant, to other parts of the Trek saga – almost to the point of self-parody [but I suppose that is nothing unusual for Kirk & Co]

star trek ID3

Cumberbatch is great as the baddie Khan. I thought he was brilliant as the buttoned-up Christopher Tietjens in Parade’s End, and love his super-intelligent Sherlock…and he is convincing in this role too. Have you noticed how he often sits amazingly still, as if all the energy in his body is being concentrated into his brain?

star trek ID2

I did particularly enjoy Simon Pegg’s portrayal of Scotty too. I am not giving away anything about the plot, as i don’t want to spoil it for those who might be going to see it.

If you liked the 2009 Star Trek film I think you will enjoy this one. If you go just to keep your other half company, then watch out for the three stuffed toys [esp the cute little grey rabbit] and count the number of variations on Star Fleet Uniform [esp Bones McCoy’s doctor gear]

Live long and prosper!

I score “Star Trek Into Darkness” with ****

11 comments:

  1. Do you think I'll still be able to understand everything even though I've never seen anything to do with Star Trek before? I'm going to see it on Saturday for my friend's birthday! (i'm mainly going to see Benedict Cumberbatch as well!!!!!!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cannot believe you have never seen anything to do with Star Trek before!! Yes, of course you will understand it - compared to Sherlock it's very easy to follow

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely going to look out for the toys now... how intriguing! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. M and I are waiting excitedly for the US premiere which happens Thursday, I think. (We both like BC very much and have been looking forward to his performance.) We also really enjoyed the last Star Trek - that sort of tongue-in-cheeky self-parody is all part of the fun, especially for those of us who watched the original series way back when. Simon Pegg (whom I love) is hilarious as Scotty but I can't help wishing they'd cast an actual Scotsman for the part (not sure why I feel this way, as the original Scotty wasn't one).

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who observes costume details! I shall look out for the grey rabbit and Bones's uniform variations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are saving it until my daughter has done her exams but then we will be there - rooting for the baddie actually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris will spot all the references,I will check out the uniforms.
    Jane x
    PS Live long and prosper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for not spoiling the plot; we are going to see it on Wednesday. We are both fans, although I would find it hard not to slap William Shatner if I ever met him in real life, and the Kirk character is an idiot, in my opinion. I think Chris Pine has done a great job of playing Kirk and whateverhisnameis Quinto (Zachary?) is delectable as Spock. And I will look out for the soft toys.....the mind boggles...Checkov's teddy? Sulu's helm control mascot? Scotty's pet rabbit? I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd definitely like to see it- I really liked the old Trek. Not seen the previous film though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a bit of a Cumber"person" I think I would like to see this- but am a Trekno ignoramus...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps we should make a girls evening of it, I know Charles and his brother plan to see it together and I quite enjoy all things Trekker. Would a group of Benedicts lady fans be 'Cumberbitches' ?

      Delete
  9. We are saving this until exams are over, but looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!