Saturday 3 June 2017

Izzy Whizzy, Let's Get Busy

Yesterday afternoon we had visitors, my friend Eileen who used to be on the WWDP committee with me, and her husband Wilf. I decided home-made biscuits were in order. I opted for Rachel Allen's "Oaty Shortbread" from her book Food For Living. Dead easy, and very quick!
  • 275g porridge oats 
  • 100g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
  • 150g caster sugar
  • ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 level tsp salt
  • 225g butter, softened

  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
  2. Whizz the oats in a food processor until quite fine. Add the remaining ingredients and whizz again until the dough comes together.
  3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 5mm. Cut into any shape with cookie cutters and place on baking trays (no need to grease or line) Space them out, as they do spread a little!
  4. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until pale golden and slightly firm. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
I had some chocolate in the fridge, so I melted it and spread it on some of the biscuits. I deliberately only covered one half, as it is so much easier to pick up in warm weather, if you can avoid the soft chocolate!
My guests really enjoyed the biscuits, served on the Coronation Plate.

Top Tip - if you are using metal pastry cutters, then wash them up, and dry them with a tea towel, then put them in the top oven/grill whilst the biscuits are baking. The heat rising from the main oven will ensure they get completely dry, and prevent rusting.







1 comment:

  1. That is a good tip! I really like oaty biscuits. My friend J makes delicious ones too!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!