Friday 22 May 2020

Knights Of The Road

My friends Richard and Mary continue to lend me jigsaws. This time, it was two in the one box. Labelled "Knights of the Road" the pictures showed AA and RAC patrolmen of the early 1960s. "Breakdown and recovery" services have change a lot in the past half century. I am currently with LV, but I was with Green Flag, and have been with both RAC and AA in the past. Other companies are available - I do shop around for the best deals these days. 
But back in the day, there were just the two. The RAC [Royal Automobile Club] began in 1897, the AA [Automobile Association] in 1905. The AA was originally called the Motorists' Mutual Association.
Originally the officers were called 'sentries'. They wore quasi military uniforms - helmets, leather boots, and gauntlets - and rode motorcycles. Throughout the country there were 'sentry boxes' - little roadside shelters where the patrolmen could take refuge from the elements, enjoy a thermos of tea, and check their maps. Each box had a telephone and a fire extinguisher. 
By the 1920s, members were given keys to the boxes, and could use them to phone for help if their car broke down [or ring home to say they were delayed!]. Remember nobody had a mobile phone then, and not all private houses would have had a landline telephone. In 1934, one third of all cars on British roads were owned by members of the AA.
As well as a key to the boxes, members had a classy metal badge to fix to the front of the car. If a patrolman saw you were a member, he would salute as you drove past. If he did not salute, that was [allegedly] a coded message "there's a police car round the corner watching for speeding drivers"
I am just about old enough to remember the AA patrolmen on motorbikes with their brown leather boots. By the mid 1960s they replaced the bikes with minivans. People used to joke back then that the affluent were in the RAC, and the ordinary folk in the AA. We were, of course in the AA. I can only recall using an AA Callbox once- in 1974, I was with Dad in a heavy thunderstorm. Its a complicated story - but we pulled into a lay-by on the A47 on the edge of Norwich, and telephoned Mum to say we were OK and would be home soon. The AA key was then returned to the glovebox!
Doing these two jigsaws brought back good memories of long car journeys as a child, going on holiday to exotic locations like Scarborough and Bournemouth. The AA would send you [free] a wonderful route map from home to your destination - loads of sheets stapled together, with a map, and typewritten directions [imagine your satnav pictures and script printed out on paper] I was allowed to sit in the front seat and navigate whilst Mum was in the back with my younger brother. No seat belts back then! 
AA & RAC patrolmen [always men] were incredibly deferential, and always helpful. True "Knights of the Road". The jigsaw is well titled.

10 comments:

  1. In the past, knowing not much about car mechanics and having a succession of second hand unreliable cars, I had recourse to the AA quite a few times.
    [There is an item on the BBC New website today which might be of particular interest if you haven't already seen it: How bumble bees trick plants into flowering early - a short film clip to go with it.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Philip, the link to the bees was really good, and I shall post about it tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. We used the AA mapping service the first time we went on a complicated journey in France, it was excellent, came on a continuous roll so you did not have to turn pages, and included the return journey to the ferry. It was a long trip
    we lived in Scotland at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didnt have the roll - our pages had the return journey on the back, so you had to turn the stack of sheets over - but work from back to front

      Delete
  3. I remember the excitement of being saluted as my grandfather passed one of the officers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely description you've posted! Thank you. I found it fascinating to read that bit of history. I remember sitting in the front seat of dads old Holden ute - with my mum who had my baby sister in her arms! Simple times ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fascinating story! I didn't know that though we also associated the RAC with richer people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. You are appearing here under an assumed name today, I notice!

      Delete
    2. Yep, it's getting a bit confusing over which account I am signged into!

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed reading all about the RAC and the AA! We had the AA when I was growing up - two of my uncles worked as accountants in their main office! When we moved to the US, we became members of the AAA - the American version of AA. I am still a member!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!