Saturday 30 May 2020

Robert's Radio

Except it isn't Robert's Radio, it is my radio. Bob gave it to me about 15 years ago, and I loved listening to the DAB stations, especially BBC Radio 7 [now called Radio 4 Extra] The radio was beautifully retro, and covered in a burgundy red leatherette fabric. I loved it, carting it from room to room listening to dramas, comedy, quizzes,classic books...
But then two problems developed- the surface started degrading and peeling horribly, and the sound became intermittent. Somehow plugging headphones into the socket had affected the switch. DAB radios had come right down in price- Bob bought me a DAB clock radio alarm to have by the bed - and then later a cheap Lidl radio for the kitchen.
But look at this! Bob not only fixed the inside, so it plays all the channels again - but he stripped off the tatty covering. The shell underneath is actually carved wood. He recovered this with a piece of heavy cotton from my stash, sealing it with a coat of PVA.
He replaced all the labels and trims, and the little hinge on the side.
It looks and sounds brilliant now. Thank you Bob!

13 comments:

  1. How wonderful. Well done, Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you get to Norfolk I shall be asking Bob to do the same to the outside of my red Roberts radio!
    The inside is still fine but the outside is looking a bit tatty and it's not very old at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a little disappointed at the quality of the leatherette stuff, it has not worn well at all. Maybe they don't expect us to keep things for 15 years. I shall add "Sue's Radio Refurb" to his ever lengthening "Retirement Projects" List!

      Delete
  3. The lovely and no one else will have one like it. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely,your own Mr Fixit. Before his stroke my husband was my Mr Fixit. He still tries with one hand and I am instructed to hold this, turn that etc. But I never doing it quite right so we end up in gales of laughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that he is still determined to keep fixing things - and even more glad that you're both still laughing together x

      Delete
  5. good grief you expected an electrical item to last more than a couple of years ...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I did - I am a woman of faith!

      Delete
  6. Wow! He did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! It's not just roberts radios that degrade. I have a Pure radio and the plastic casing has gone all sticky. Very annoying when you think you've bought a quality item. Does Bob have a date for retirement or is the list for 'when it happens'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both hit 66, and get our State Pensions next year - I hope. Watch this space!

      Delete
  8. That is an amazing job! Good for him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How nice to have a pretty radio! Clever Bob.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!