Tuesday 6 January 2009

He is Everything to me.

bodiam

As the bridegroom to his chosen, as the king unto his realm,

As the keep unto the castle, as the pilot to the helm,

As the captain to his soldiers, as the shepherd to his lambs,

So, Lord, art Thou to me.

candle

As the fountain in the garden, as the candle in the dark,

As the treasure in the coffer, as the manna in the ark,

As the firelight in the winter, as the sunlight in the spring,

So, Lord, art Thou to me.

seal2

As the music at the banquet, as the stamp unto the seal,

As refreshment at the fainting, as the wine-cup at the meal,

As the singing on the feast day, as the amen to the prayer,

So, Lord, art Thou to me.

eaglemountain

As the ruby in the setting, as the honey in the comb,

As the light within the lantern, as the father in the home,

As the eagle in the mountains, as the sparrow in the nest,

So, Lord, art Thou to me.

IM002664

As the sunshine in the heavens, as the image in the glass,

As the fruit unto the fig tree, as the dew upon the grass,

As the rainbow on the hilltop, as the river in the plain,

So, Lord, art Thou to me.

victoria falls rainbow

[John Tauler 1300-1361]

This afternoon's Ladies' Fellowship has a musical theme.One of our members is very keen on the works of John Rutter and asked if we could listen to some of his pieces [CDs by the Cambridge Singers] Irene helped me prepare a programme, and I have copied out the lyrics for the ladies to keep. I was particularly taken with this piece.

I love the imagery of this anthem, as it seeks to show all that Jesus means to His child.

The music is by Rutter, but the words are by John Tauler, a medieval Catholic mystic. It is said of him that he "set the whole world aflame by his fiery tongue, ...not that he was a preacher of fiery, entrancing eloquence, but a preacher who warmed and inflamed the hearts of his hearers by the quiet flame of the pure love that burned in his own breast."

I am grateful to Irene for her thoughtfulness and trust the ladies will enjoy the music and words too.

4 comments:

  1. This is lovely - the pictures compliment the words beautifully. And as I'm rather fond of Rutter anyway... Beware though, the so-called newest release (Ultimate John Rutter collection) is actually a re-release (John Rutter Collection).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that information! BTW I have found the Bible Study book for tonight - so will save your New Year Thoughts for another time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. Was it originally written as a poem or a hymn?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was written as a poem, but I am not sure. I need to do more research on John Tauler I think!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!