Saturday 17 January 2009

Saturday Stuff

Off to M&S at crack of dawn - I had some reward vouchers to use up, and they were doing their "two can eat for a tenner" offer. I got two lots of food! So that's two Sunday lunches sorted out [and paid for!] And there will be plenty left for another day, as I shall make stock from the chicken carcase, and cut the pies into quarters...

Then to Staples for paper [our Administrator is off work,  convalescing, so Bob has to prepare some orders of service she would normally sort out] and Maplin [because it is next door to Staples - and one never misses a chance to go in!]

Then I did some sewing - my friend at school asked if I could come up with an applique patch for a sleepsuit for a baby doll, on a stars/moon sort of theme. I downloaded two designs from the Janome website onto the memory card, and the machine sewed them beautifully.

IM003174

The theology of this one is a bit ropey, but it stitched ok!

IM003178

This one took two attempts, I had problems with the bobbin tension at the very end when it was doing the script. I shall use the nappy-liner technique to make two patches for my friend to sew on.

After lunch we both sat and read for a bit - rather frantically, as the books were on one-week-restricted loan and needed to be returned to the library. I finished off "Killer Heat" by Linda Fairstein. This one was rather topical, being set on Governor's island, New York - just slightly due south of where the plane landed on Thursday night!

Then I returned the books, had a chat with the librarian about the "Pound A Day" one [she had seen a TV interview with the author, and reached the same conclusions that I had!] Very pleased to find the "Down River" novel which Steph recommended. I also picked up a Phillip Yancey [I don't just read detective/legal fiction you know, I have the occasional foray into spiritual literature too!] and a craft book.

Back home, I attempted to recover a favourite teeshirt. Quite old, this white scoop neck got three ineradicable stains at the neckline, which neither Vanish, Shout, nor bleach could shift!

IM003159

So while the embroidery machine was out, I sewed some flowers, then embellished with a few beads and sequins.

IM003179

That will be OK for a few more wearings now. I was very conscious of the fact that the beadwork is extremely fiddly and time consuming! I was working with my wonderful magnifying lamp,so I could see clearly - but I really do not see how people in the third world who produce beaded clothes for the UK market can be being paid a fair rate. And I do not just mean Primark - M&S are selling a number of bagm&s bags which are decorated with beads and sequins at under £20. I do not know how they are managing that.

M&S have also reduced their "bugle bead" dress from £75 to £12. Which suggests they had a pretty high mark up on that one to start with.

It is so hard to shop ethically! If I am concerned about the dress and bag being made by underpaid, under-equipped third world workers, does that mean I shouldn't take advantage of the M&S offer on a cheap chicken, and apple pie, because that is helping the company's profits?

Bob will no doubt be spending the evening on sermon prep, so once I have sorted out my Sunday School class, I shall do the ironing in front of the TV. Hope there is something good to watch!

3 comments:

  1. You are so talented and clever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela,
    I love what you did with the white tee shirt, very creative. I enjoy you sharing your sewing projects. I don't sew at all (I learned years ago, but was never very good at it!), and enjoy what others can create.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've had a very productive day. Hope you find a good show to go along with the ironing. My husband is studying too (it must go with the territory :) so I think I'll spend some time with The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I'm enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!