Thursday 29 January 2009

Those Were The Days...

victorian farm

Continuing to enjoy "The Victorian Farm" very much. Tonight's episode showed Ruth learning to use a Treadle Singer machine and make herself clothes from a Victorian pattern. I am grateful for my modern Janome Electric machine!

We saw the Gloucester Old Spot piglets [cute] and Ruth made Shropshire Fidget Pie and brawn from one of the pigs which had fidget_pie been slaughtered. Not so sure about the cooked brains and eyeballs! Fidget is apparently a dialect word - from 'fitched' meaning 5-sided.

Then they had their May Day party, and sang for the pig. Bob and I particularly appreciated the Folk Singer - as he played his squeezebox and sang a traditional song which we both knew - and so we joined in

Whose pigs are these?

Whose pigs are these?

Oh they are John Stott's

You can tell 'em by the spots

And they come from the Vicarage Garden!

People who were on holiday at Baptist Missionary Summer Schools in the 60's and 70's may remember that one too. Actually the original version was "John Pott's" - but in deference to the eminent Anglican, we Baptists preferred to sing "John Stott's"!!

At the end of a long hard day in the classroom, with some particularly challenging children, I need a bit of Victorian Silliness. I could do with a mug of tea and a slice of Fidget Pie too...

4 comments:

  1. I wish I could watch this series - hopefully it will come over here before too long. I watched the Victorian House series and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this programme too - though I spent most of it with my face covered - there was so much guts & gore last night - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very jealous that you and Dulce and other UKers get to watch "The Victorian Farm." I'm dying to see it!

    I love the idea of singing to pigs. We should all do that more often.

    Thanks for your comment yesterday. It was really helpful to me.

    frances

    ReplyDelete
  4. BMS Summer Schools - those were the days. I think I was taken to my first Summer School when I was about 6 months old, and hardly missed a year until I was well into my teens!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!