Sunday 8 July 2012

Deeper Than The Deepest Ocean

sailors societyIt’s Sea Sunday. The Sailors’ Society asks that Churches around the world come together in spirit today, to remember merchant seafarers, to pray for them and give thanks for the important work they do.

It is so easy to take them and their work for granted.

This year they have a special song! Graham Kendrick was commissioned to write a song, and chose the old hymn “Oh the deep, deep love of Jesus” as his starting point.

DSCF1433I’ve posted about this great charity before, when the Lands End Clothing Company joined in their Woolly Hat Campaign last year.

They still need hats – I shall post the simple pattern below. You can knit one very quickly and use up some of your stash!

Here’s the song

Dedicated to the world’s 1.2 million merchant seafarers and the Sailors’ Society which seeks to serve them

And when storms of life are raging;
Home and loved ones far away;
I will listen for the voice that
Calmed the waves on Galilee.
Through the long, cold nights of waiting
Or the weary work-long day,
One who made the star-lit heavens
Travels in the boat with me.

…and here’s the pattern

HAT PATTERN

Approx 80g double knitting wool,

Pair of 3mm[UK11] needles, Pair of 3¾mm [UK9] needles

With 3mm needles cast on 110 sts

Row 1- [Right Side] K2 * P2,K2; rep from * to end

Row 2 – P2 *K2, P2; rep from * to end

These two rows form the rib

Work a further 8 rows in rib, inc 1st at each end of final row [112 sts]

Change to 3¾mm needles work 32 rows in st st beg with K row

Shape Crown

Row 1; [RS] [k2tog, k6] 14 times [98sts] - Work 3 rows

Row 5; [k2tog k5] 14 times [84 sts] - Work 3 rows

Row 9; [k2tog, k4] 14 times [70sts] - Work 3 rows

Row 13; [k2tog, k3] 14 times [56sts] - Work 1 row

Row 15; [k3tog k1] 14 times [28sts]

Break yarn, thread end through remaining 28sts and draw up tightly and fasten off securely. Sew up back seam.

Please send completed hats to

The Sailors’ Society, 350 Shirley Road, Southampton, SO15 3HY  [It costs about £1 to distribute a hat – so any donations will be greatly appreciated]

5 comments:

  1. That is one of my favorite hymns, and I must say the new melody is good, but because I have known the hymn for years and years, the old Welsh melody is best for me. But no matter the melody, it's the words and experience that truly matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sea is cruel and unrelenting, and sailors often feel forgotten. I love this.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice little hat pattern!
    Have a lovely Sunday evening, Ang!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might just copy that hat pattern and knit a couple, as I do have some spare wool. My Mum might also do a hat, as she is at a loss as to what she can do when she is sitting. She is 92. I must say the sitting comes only after she has done her garden!

    The sea is surely the most powerful of weapons against the human race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that I am still knitting when I am 92

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!