Saturday 22 June 2019

Are You Sitting Comfortably?

My friend has a beanbag. She has had it for fifty years, since her teens. It has been repaired, and patched an awful lot of times. Her two [adult] children still come and sit on it. But the fabric is splitting and really it is beyond repair. So she asked if I could help. 
We took out the inner bag, and she said she would get some new beads for it. I took the outer bag home, and dismantled it. It wasn't too hard to make paper patterns for the top, base, and side panels.
To ensure this new cover will last half a century, I seamed the panels, then overlocked the raw edges, then top stitched the seams down, to give extra strength. 
She wants to pass on the bean bag to her son - but bearing in mind that the outer cover will be completely new [and the beans are new too] it will hardly be the same beanbag. 
Do you remember Trigger's Broom?
I decided that the best thing to do was to take a largish piece of the original fabric, and strips from each of the patches. I made a panel which is now sewn on the bottom of the beanbag, and added names, and dates [in the photo below, I have covered the names- they are at top and bottom of the panel]. 
This project has worked out well [do you think they will give me a job on the Repair Shop?] The bag needs a few more beans- but once they are added, it should be ready for sitting on again.
Do you think Jay Blades will give me a job on The Repair Shop?



5 comments:

  1. Wow! You did great with that beanbag chair makeover! I love the panel you made with the old fabric to document the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay Blades doesn't know what he's missing!!Another great job done well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant job - but I still don't like beanbag chairs - could never get out of them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a wonderful job with that bean bag!
    It reminded me of hearing how some people have had their mother's old fur coats (which had personalized labels in them) remade into teddy bears. The personalized label stitched on the bear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your personal touches in refurbishing the bean bag, good for another few decades.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!