Thursday 13 June 2019

Swish!

Every so often, we host a "Girls' Night In" Event at church, and last Saturday, the GNI was a "Swishing Party"  There were a few raised eyebrows when this was announced.
Guests each brought 3 garments [according to strict rules- ladieswear, in good condtion- no holes, stains, broken zips etc. No nightwear, swimwear, lingerie, accessories, jewellery or shoes]
These were all put on a rail and everyone paid £1.50 and received 3 tickets.
We had time to eat cake and drink coffee,
Time to look at the different garments on the rails
Then the tickets were drawn at random, and everyone got an opportunity to go and grab a new garment. We had a lot of laughs
No I didn't choose either of these for myself. I ended up with two black and white tunic tops to wear with leggings and a pretty summer dress.
The latter needs 'a little bit of work' but I shall post pictures later.
Good things - it was great fun, people made new friends, and much cake was consumed.
Best things - we raised £49 for Christians against poverty, we 'rehomed' 75 garments, and sent another 25 to Charity.
It worked way better than I could have imagined, the teenagers who'd come along with their Mums were surprised to go home with new clothes they really liked - and quite a few who'd come along just for the social event [and an opportunity to clear out their wardrobe] found new stuff too.
People are already speaking about doing another Swishing Party next year! [if you want to do one, email me and I will send you a copy of our explanatory flyer]

8 comments:

  1. Oh well done!! This sounds brilliant!!! We did a sort of Clothes swap round at one of my church friend's houses and had a lovely time. I do think it is a great idea!! Love the comedy picture of you posing. I would've chosen that dress you were holding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, so glad to hear it went well, rehomed items, was fun, sociable & made money for charity. What an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! It sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea! I rather like the yellow garment you are holding! I used to have a lot of yellow outfits in my closet at one time; have just one, now, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neither of these dresses were the ones I chose. The pink Monsoon one was way too long (and slim) and the yellow asymmetric skirt was a size 22!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea - I'd love a copy of the flyer please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please send me your email address Margie (ang@revbob.org)

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!