Sunday 8 March 2020

Lent Inspirations #2 - Being A Good Friend

In the last few weeks I have really been aware of the blessings of friendship. 
The good friend who has known me for years, who remembered that Friday would have been Dad's birthday, and sent me a thoughtful message. I'm not sure that there's anyone else who would have remembered, and I did appreciate that so much.
The good friend who has known me for a much shorter time, who arrived on Monday with a lovely primrose plant - a totally unexpected gift. 
On Tuesday Bob was looking at CDs in a Charity Shop and thought that I would enjoy one of them. One of the tracks is a hymn, written a century ago, set to a much older, beloved tune - which is asking for God's help to be a true friend to others. The words have resonated with me much in recent days...

I would be true, for there are those who trust me;
I would be pure, for there are those who care;
I would be strong, for there is much to suffer;
I would be brave, for there is much to dare.

I would be friend of all—the foe, the friendless;
I would be giving, and forget the gift;
I would be humble, for I know my weakness;
I would look up, and laugh, and love, and lift.

I would be faithful through each passing moment;
I would be constantly in touch with God;
I would be strong to follow where He leads me;
I would have faith to keep the path Christ trod.

May none, then, call on me for understanding,
May none, then, turn to me for help in pain,
And drain alone his bitter cup of sorrow,
Or find he knocks upon my heart in vain.
Thank you to all my friends for inspiring me- may God give me grace to 'look up, and laugh, and love, and lift"

7 comments:

  1. Angela, you too are such a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have good friends because you are a good friend, yourself. :)

    Thank you for posting this. My mother taught me the first two verses of this song, when I was around 10 or 11. I sing them to myself, from time to time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merci de nous aider à nous recentrer sur l'essentiel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up singing this song, but had forgotten about it as I haven't heard it in years. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems to have fallen into disuse, but lots of people seem to remember it from childhood

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got to say that, before I saw that you said it would be sung to Londonderry air, I KNEW it would be Londonderry air as the lyric beg to be sung to it!!!
    They are beautiful, inspiring lyics. You are a good friend and I am glad that good friends beget good friends.x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!