Sunday 6 April 2014

Pause In Lent #5

A Pause in Lent Floss

I visit many different schools in my work as a Supply [Substitute] Teacher, and I have noticed one thing that is common to most of them – a class teacher will often select a couple of children to be the helpers for the day [or week] and their names will be displayed somewhere in the room. This is very useful to me – it means I know who I can call upon to show me where things are, or to return the register to the Office.

IMG_1636

The other day I was particularly thrilled by the names of the girls selected to assist me. I actually took a photograph of the notice. Grace and Honor were two delightful little girls, who did all they could to help me through the morning. I have thought a lot about them since and wondered why their parents chose such lovely names, and marvelled that they ended up as friends in the same class!

I found a List Of Virtues, which gave these definitions

Grace: Openness to the bounties of life, trusting that we are held in God’s love through all circumstances. Reflecting gentleness and beauty in the way we act, speak and move.

Honour: Living with a sense of respect for what we know is right. Living up to the virtues of our character. Keeping our agreements with integrity

rc school

Grace and Honour are two words which occur often in Scripture.

John chapter 1 We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Paul reminds us in Romans 8 [great chapter, full of grace references]  You are not under the law, but under grace

And in 2 Corinthians But the Lord said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’

Hebrews 4 says Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need

Colossians Let your conversation be always full of grace

Exodus – the 10 commandments - Honour your father and your mother

Deuteronomy 26 He has declared that he will set you in praise, fame and honour high above all the nations he has made and that you will be a people holy to the Lord your God, as he promised

Psalm 50 Call on me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honour me

Romans 12 Be devoted to one another in love. Honour one another above yourselves.

Hebrews [quoted Psalm 8] You have made men and women a little lower than the angels; you have crowned them with glory and honour

Some of these verses are about the way that God has shown his Grace to us, and others remind us that we should be gracious to our brothers and sisters. We must honour our great God – but He has also bestowed honour on us. We too are called upon to show honour to others [especially our parents]

Grace and honour – blessings from God – and we can experience these gifts, both by receiving them, and by bestowing them. And then we will certainly find them to be our ‘special helpers’ through the week

One final favourite verse from Revelation - Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying: ‘To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honour and glory and power, for ever and ever’

4 comments:

  1. What lovely names! I found myself thinking of the meaning of our sons' names recently, for the first time in ages. It's interesting to see how they are living up to them! One seems more like a promise than a reality at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you thought to take a photo of the beautiful names, representing wonderful little girls!
    Great post, Ang!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there:) I regularly read your posts and appreciate the way you share and encourage. When I scrolled down the page I first thought you had made up a couple of names to use as an example. Isn't it something that the names of those two little ones 'happened' to be on the board? I guess the Lord uses more than I sometimes realize to remind us of Him. I especially love the verse from Revelation:) Thank you, Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments, Jeannette

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!