Sunday 27 April 2014

Tracing Rainbows

noah crowe

We are on holiday – so we went to see Noah at the cinema. I didn’t go in the expectation of an accurate re-telling of the Biblical narrative- and so was not disappointed by that. But I did feel it was generally quite a poor film – there were so many holes in the plot which I won’t explain in detail, as I don’t want to spoil it for others who have yet to see it. Just a few comments

  • the trailers beforehand for ‘Godzilla’ did not help!
  • Methuselah seemed to have been confused with Merlin
  • the accents – Emma Watson’s precise pronunciation was in marked contrast to Ray Winstone [did he get that ridiculous welding helmet in Wickes??]
  • how had they become so proficient in textiles? [e.g. stocking stitch knitwear, and close weave denim]
  • the way the animals arrived, and were contained in the ark I thought was cleverly done. Other parts were just…silly!
  • midweek cinema trips during afternoons in termtime are brilliant – surrounded by elderly pensioners made us feel so young!!

noah crowe rainbow

This Noah seemed so utterly lonely. I came home and re-read the Genesis story. I was sorry the film had not made more of Gen 9;16

“Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”

And I sang to myself the hymn that provides this blog with its title

Oh Love that wilt not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in thee;
I give thee back the life I owe,
That in thine ocean depths its flow
May richer, fuller be.

Oh light that foll’west all my way,
I yield my flick’ring torch to thee;
My heart restores its borrowed ray,
That in thy sunshine’s blaze its day
May brighter, fairer be.

Oh joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain,
That morn shall tearless be.

Oh cross that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from thee;
I lay in dust life’s glory dead,
And from the ground there blossoms red
Life that shall endless be.

8 comments:

  1. I have read some of the reviews of the film, which do not enourage me to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaah, that's where it comes from!! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to Elizabeth's comment ... and I too always look at the textiles in period films and wonder as to their accuracy. :)

    I think my favourite bit of the Noah story (Bible version I mean) is God's promise that "While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease.” It's a great comfort (especially towards the end of a long winter) to know that God will keep the seasons rolling round in their proper times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard similar reviews... It was interesting to see what you thought. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not one that I wanted to see, and your review has just confirmed my worst suspicions, but, hey ... it was an afternoon out and you came away feeling young again, so not all bad! Lol. xCathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. It always amazes me how advanced they were in these days, with severely uplifted bras and fitted garments, as you said, in the lovely knitwear and other stuff. I can't identify it on any particular film as I don't watch many but it has been one of my criticisms for a long while, whilst husband goes 'ugh?' at me for being pedantic.

    As I used to help my ex hub to make cine films I do tend to notice these things. Sorry I haven't been looking at blogs for a while, as I'm really busy with the knitting and crocheting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela, thanks for this - I won't be rushing to see it - I'll wait til it comes out on cable! Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  8. I rarely go to the cinema (I cannot bear all that eating that goes on the minute the lights go down!) but I can imagine the conflation between Methusela and Merlin...mmm....

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!