Wednesday 18 May 2016

It All Adds Up







1 + 2 = 3, 1+ 2 + 3 = 6, 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 =10,
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15 etc. These are totals are called Triangle Numbers



I am posting this maths because Kate, whose blog I enjoy greatly is having a May Declutter.
And she is discarding 1 thing on May 1st, 2 on May 2nd, 3 on May 3rd etc. Which means by May 31st, she will have reduced her possessions by a whopping 496 items!!
She is regularly posting pictures [and being very good about how she counts things - a bag of crayons counts as one item, not 24]
I feel challenged by this. I am not sure I have her willpower. I thought about it, and decided there are 31 days in May. If I just select three items a day, and four on the five Sundays and 2 Bank Holidays in this month, that makes 100 items. Kate is going for 5 times as many - but [a] I am notoriously bad at discarding things and [b] I am away for a number of days this month, WWDP stuff and family visits. I decided I would at least consider things whilst away - with the aim of the 100 items target at the end. I have begun the process.

This notebook was one I made at sewing club years ago, to show the girls how easy it was to make a plain exercise book look pretty. I have filled it with all sorts of random notes and shopping lists. There are 3 blank pages - so I shall use them to note my 100 items and then it can go in the paper recycling bin [sans fabric cover]

Then there was the handle from my Spong Mincer which broke beyond repair a couple of years ago. Whatever did I think I could do with the handle? That's in the bin now.

The blue refurbished sewing box has disintegrated - the wood was just falling apart. I saved the lovely Liberty buttons - but the box has gone.
I don't know where this One Dollar from Barbados came from. I shall see if I can find a Charity Shop which takes foreign coinage. I've already taken a bag of clothes and a couple of books to a nearby CS.
And I passed on a jumper and pair of boots to Steph last weekend. Not sure if the boots count - she originally passed them on to me! Yes, I will count them as One Item. I ought to be up to 55 things by now. I have a long way to go yet! But I will get there, I am determined!

3 comments:

  1. I once did a 10 items a day declutter, which came to approx. 300 items a month. It cleared a lot of drawers and shelves. Might be time to start doing it, again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's books I need to clear out. I can be ruthless, but there is a lot which will stay. :-) As I work in a public library I will never be in short supply of books...
    Good luck with your declutter!
    Lesley H in Livingston

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!