Saturday 13 December 2014

Bring Up The Bodies!

titlepage

I did enjoy Sarah Lund, in “The Killing” – and I loved her sweaters. And similarly, Kate Davies wonderful knitwear popped up in “Shetland”, the Scottish police drama I watched back in March. Somehow I felt that encased in a warm Fair Isle or Scandi sweater, I could face anything!

One of my SILs [technically, should that be SsIL ?] gave me a gift token. And I decided to spend it on some lovely real wool for such a sweater. Not cheap Aldi acrylic blends, but the pukka sheep product 52-projects4

I dithered and dithered, and finally went out in October and purchased the yarn. Then it became a matter of pride to finish this one of my 52 projects in time for Christmas.

My pattern is a vintage Lister one from the early 1970s. I found it on eBay. I had a similar sweater to this, which Mum knitted me in Lister Lochinvar wool. That one had a yoke in shades of deep green, with bright white body and sleeves.  I knitted the jumper very carefully, making it slightly longer than the pattern suggested, and then I blocked it on a board.

I love the heathery tones of the random yarn [Sirdar] against the creamy Rowan wool. I shall wear it on Christmas Day and then for bracing walks in the Norfolk countryside a few days later. Hoping I do not unearth any bodies though! Here’s some photos.

scandi sweater

I have to say that it looks better on me than it does on a hanger. The pattern was especially good because you knit the front, back and two sleeves, then slip all the stitches onto a circular needle to knit the yoke. No complicated ‘picking up stitches’ – which I always struggle to do neatly and evenly. My only real problem was that I did the neckline ribbing and casting off whilst watching a particularly tense episode of “The Missing” and my tension went incredibly tight in sympathy. When I tried it on, it wouldn’t go over my head! I had to unpick the neck and re-knit it calmly. I quite fancy knitting a black one now, with white patterning – but I am a little bit too busy right now I think!

Some people think that giving a token is a ‘lazy’ gift – but for me this has proved to be a wonderful present, with hours of pleasure.

14 comments:

  1. It's beautiful. I think a gift token is a wonderful gift. I have used them in the past to buy things for myself that I otherwise would not have done, sometimes because I thought the items I bought were too frivolous to use our precious budget on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours you have chosen - it is beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely Angela, I can just see you walking in bracing winds in Norfolk........have you got enough yarn to knit a matching hat? Probably you have but, not enough time to knit it before Christmas lol! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly only a tiny amount of cream leftover! So no hat - but I shall wear the beret Kezzie sent me last year which is a blue shade which matches perfectly

      Delete
    2. Firstly, your sweater is beautiful! Very well done to you! Secondly, I am so.glad the beret comes or will come in useful!x

      Delete
    3. You are definitely the go-to girl when it comes to hats, Kezzie!!

      Delete
  4. I love Fairisle knitting, but could never attempt it. It's a beautiful jumper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! I love receiving tokens. Especially using them after the hustle and bustle is over and you have just the thing in mind that you wouldn't otherwise buy for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please add my blog to your list for A Pause in Advent, although I am a bit late. Thanks.

    Your Fair Isle knitting is gorgeous. I am making some fair isle socks and really enjoying the process, though I am slow.

    http://nancymccarroll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy - I have added your blog to the list! thanks for joining in

      Delete
  7. Beautiful jumper, Angela, you did a fantastic job!
    I love the colours you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a newby fairisle knitter I am very impressed with your stranded yoke - I love the colours too! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only having two balls to cope with, because the random yarn meant I wasn't changing balls every row, helped a lot! And blocking it out properly certainly improved the finished appearance.

      Delete
  9. Oh my - 'well jell' as the young'uns would say!! That is a beautiful jumper and glad you could splash out on 'real' wool. I've become something of a 'yarn snob' when choosing my wool these days but haven't yet been able to buy a jumper's worth. Maybe next year! I think I know 'who dunnit' in The Missing. Some folks are saying it's a bit drawn out but I'm engrossed, though the subject matter can be a bit distressing at times. Happy weekend to you Angela. x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!