Tuesday 8 August 2023

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

My dear friend Kezzie commented on last Thursday's post  "I love the word  lozenge.  I think you should do a post just about Lozenges" . It is my suspicion that Kezzie - who has two Z's in her first name and another Z in her surname is just very fond of words with  in them. Maybe her favourite animal is a zebra, she plays zither music in her lessons, and enjoys sprinkling za'atar on her salads, and eating zabaglione. I suspect her least favourite Dr Who characters are the zygons. ...She certainly displays zest for life. So here Kezzie is a lozenge  post.
The word lozenge comes from the old French losenge which originates with the Latin lausiae meaning stone slabs.
The common definition is a diamond or rhombus shape  - a foursided figure with its corners at top, bottom and sides - and acute angles at the top and bottom, obtuse angles at the sides.
Lozenge is also the name of a particular diamond cut - where the stone is shaped as above, but has stepped sides. A popular style for rings
I guess that most people hearing the word lozenge will think of cough sweets. And originally these sweets were indeed made in this shape, a stepped quadrilateral. Now they are round, oval, square...
Archaeologists have discovered hard 'candies' made with honey and flavoured with spices used in 1000BC by Ancient Egyptians to soothe their sore throats. 

I wonder which is your favourite brand of throat sweet today ? 
Lozenge is also a term in heraldry. There is the simple diamond [lozenge]
Then there is the mascle - just the outline, with an empty centre
The rustre is a filled lozenge with a circular hole in the centre 
And finally, when the whole field of the piece is covered with them, it's called lozengy. 
Often a lozenge is used in heraldry to depict a woman [sometimes a widow or unmarried woman, but not always] So Kirsten's stitching of lozenges on my initial A was very appropriate.
In Ukraine, embroidery is an important part of the culture, most women learn the skill - and this stitching is predominantly done by women. The designs all have special symbolism, and the lozenge represents a sown field and female fertility. Here are some colourful examples of the work.

At the beginning of my research, I checked out a particular Norfolk guy, in case he had a connection. Herbert de Losinga was the son Robert, Abbot of Winchester, and he came to Norfolk to be bishop of Thetford in 1090. In 1096 he founded Norwich Cathedral. [He also founded Norwich School, and churches in Yarmouth and Kings Lynn] He died in 1119, and was buried in front of the altar [must check this out sometime]
He has absolutely no connection with lozenges that I can find. I do know the patron saint of Diamond Cutters is St Elegius. Maybe the patron saint of lozenges is St. Repsil...

Thank you Kezzie for inspiring this post, I feel I have really learned a lot about the meanings of the word lozenge.




25 comments:

  1. Grandma used to give me a lozenge to cure a sore throat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma's have an important role in helping little ones feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. St.Repsil was inspired! Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post-I love to learn new things about familiar words. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'St. Repsil', Ang you're a hoot!!! I used to have two z's in my surname! I remember those lozenges you used to get when you had a cough, 'Victory V's' I think they were called. Tasted awful!(BBC Two are showing a docu-series about Marilyn on Friday nights which is very good).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See V V comments below! Thanks for heads-up on the Marilyn documentary. 👍

      Delete
  6. A very informative post! I remember my mother giving me lozenges when I was a child, although, I am not sure whether it was for a sore throat or if she referred to all sweets as lozenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that older people often did [Lozenges sounds more virtuous than sweeties!]

      Delete
  7. I don’t remember lozenge shaped cough sweets but do remember Victory Vees (they were rectangular with the corners cut off and writing pressed into them). They were expensive though about 1s 4d for a quarter pound or 4 ounces. The sweetie shop near my school would sell them for 4d for 1 ounce - we got about 4 or 5 sweets which we ate a half at a time. Well done on the research Ang , fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just checked VVs out on the internet. They were originally made in 1864 by hand to make sure they had the correct proportions of ingredients. Then they contained liquorice, ether and chloroform! Who knew!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd completely forgotten Victory Vs. I never realised they were that old, I thought they dated from WW1. What arming ingredients! I Thanks for two superb comments

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to like Blackcurrant Tunes the best! Strong memories associated with our local chemist from my childhood! I knew you'd do this topic justice!
    I would like to go to Zimbabwe!😁
    In our flute trio, all 3 of us had Z sounds in our name (Izzie, Hazel- I nicknamed her Hazzie- and of course, Kezzie). When Lara joined us, I was dismayed- there was no way I could get a Z in there!
    I actually didn't know the original word meaning so this is great to have learnt so much! Kxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Victory V's - yuk! My favourite thing for a dry throat is an extra strong mint, nearly 💯 sugar!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember those Victory Vs as being rather strong tasting, not sweet . Am I correct?
    JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very strong. My memory is that the tasted unpleasantly medicinal

      Delete
  13. so interesting! Once a teacher ...!
    Our older son is Zachary (zack)!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fisherman's Friends are a handy throat lozenge as they come in small packages that take up very little space in a handbag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. But I so hate it when packets split in my bag, and I find old sticky peppermints nestling in the lining a week later

      Delete
  15. We had 'pink drink' when I was little. Hot water, honey and cochineal in a small glass.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!