Saturday 26 August 2023

Wooster. Wimsey or Weed?

Thank you everyone for your kind wishes yesterday. We had a lovely day with Jess and Rosie.
Ever since I discovered a whole shelf of "Classic Crime Fiction" in the library at school, I have loved mystery stories, especially those written by women. From the Queens of Crime in the 1930s [Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh, Dorothy L Sayers and Margery Allingham] through to the later Grand Dames,PD James and Ruth Rendell - and the current ones - Val McDermid, Caroline Graham and Ann Cleeves.[there are others, I cannot list them all...] Most of these appear to be pleasant women in real life, despite the heinous crimes they write about. 
And many of their gifted sleuths have graced our TV screens - Poirot, Alleyn, Wimsey, Dalgleish...
I came late to Margery Allingham's Campion, by way of Peter Davison on TV in the early 90s. 
He is a parody of Lord Peter Wimsey, with the affected absent mindedness of Bertie Wooster. He's supported by his manservant, Magersfontein Lugg [ex boxer] and Superintendent Stanislaus Oates of Scotland Yard.
His 'weedy' name [which we learn is not the one he was born with]  is possibly a nod to Sir Percy Blakeney, aka the Scarlet Pimpernel, or maybe to the Jesuit martyr Edmund Campion.
I last read MAs books about 20 years ago.[the author died in 1966] 
Sue said she'd they'd borrowed a new Campion story written by Mike Ripley. Allingham's husband Philip Youngman Carter, had left notes for a novel which was never completed, and the trustees of her estate asked the talented Mr Ripley to complete it. 
The book was Mr Campion's Farewell, and Ripley has gone on to write a number of others. I borrowed this one, and Mr Campion's Coven, from The Forum library in Norwich. 
Unlike the earlier books, these are set post war, in the sixties. Campion has a wife and a son. I have to say that I was sadly disappointed... The books had all the right characters, and Albert had his arcane background, and quaint fondness for the weirdnesses of Olde England. 
And I really expected to love the Coven one, as it was set in Essex. But I
struggled to finish them. I couldn't get my head round the over contrived plots. And the details which were meant to fix the story in a particular era [eg instant mashed potato, Morris Marinas] seemed to jar. I was sorry, because I felt Ripley had worked so very hard to continue where Allingham left off [she died in 1966] 
I can only give these *** Yesterday Sue blogged about borrowing the Coven one too. I'll be interested in her review. And perhaps I should try a few more Ripleys. Perhaps he gets into the groove in later ones... 
But I also found Traitor's Purse [1941] and Mr Campion and Others [1939 - short story collection] And I loved them both. Allingham's style was readable,  witty, and her vocabulary extensive, I realised why I had enjoyed the books the first time round. *****
Have you read any Campion mysteries  - old or new - and what did you think of them?
Does it work to continue the oeuvre after a writer has died ? 
Or should the characters depart when their creator does?
Christie killed off Poirot [Curtain] just before her own death- and more recently in Italy, the final episode of Inspector Montelbano aired, following the death of author Andrea Camilleri - and many Italians were most upset with the way AC had written his character's departure. 

I think I shall seek out some more early Campions to enjoy... [thank you Sue for the reminder] 

24 comments:

  1. I've come to the Mike Ripley books without being a big fan of the originals - I've only read a couple many years ago and couldn't remember anything about them - so couldn't compare.
    I've enjoyed all the 4 I've read although The Coven is maybe the oddest.
    I've not read Ripley's earlier series about Fitzroy Angel but might try them now and the earlier Allingham Campions too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps that is the best way to do it. "odd" is a very good word to describe the Coven one. I shall persevere and try to find his Fitzroy Angels too.

      Delete
  2. The Lord Peter Wimsey books written by Jill Paton Walsh are excellent - I recommend reading them in the order written. Also have you tried the Josephine Tey detective novels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd quite forgotten Josephine Tey. We read "The Franchise Affair" at school, and I thought it brilliant. I read them years ago. They have dramatised a few of them and I listened to some on Radio4 extra in lockdown

      Delete
    2. Now, thanks to your comment, I've just found a series called "Shedunnit" on R4X, about all these women crime writers and their books. Thankyou! I read JPW "Thrones, dominations" but not read the rest of her Wimseys.

      Delete
  3. I like when people discuss books and authors on their blog.It sets me off on the trail of the books or sometimes down memory lane. One thing I notice as I have aged is that I like to read factual books for pleasure-think retirement has given me the headspace to do this. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will track down the Shedunnit series - sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I will have to look out for the original MA books as I've not read any. I love Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh - have only read one Sayers book but must try others. Have you read Georgette Heyer's Whodunnit books? They are great. I'm reading the first of the Laurie L. King's Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes books. I really enjoyed reading the Kate Shackleton mysteries by Frances Brodie (I have the whole pile ready to give away) and also enjoyed the Maisie Dobbs mysteries. Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got on with G Heyers romantic stuff. Didn't know she'd written whodunits. I don't know F Brodie at all

      Delete
  6. Not a fan of crime fiction but I like to watch the progs on TV. Have you read any of Ann Cleeves, inventor of 'Shetland'?My sister is an avid fan of her books.Happy Anniversary for yesterday. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I enjoy Shetland and Vera books. I gather there is a new AC TV series being planned...

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed the vintage Miss Silver books by Patricia Wentworth, (available free on Faded Pages.) Georgette Heyer wrote some enjoyable detective novels. I like Carola Dunn’s Daisy Dalrymple series set in the years following WW1, and reflecting some of the social problems or the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot to add my name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks NellieGrace. The Carola Dunn ones sound interesting 👍

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting as I am a reader, too!
    I'll add MC Beaton 's books, she of Hamish fame. And may I an still miffed that the Hamish McBeth series ended after merely 3 yeras and with too many story threads left up in the air! I know, I know, it's 30 years too late to miffed, but I am! :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you get on with MCBs Agatha Raisin series?

      Delete
    2. I don't really care for Agatha Raisin but love MCB's many other books.

      Hugs!

      Delete
  11. A great resource is a website called "Stop, You're Killing Me!". One can search by author, character, location, time in history, job etc.
    ~ skye

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, on the subject of continuing with another author's work, I read Mrs de Winter, by Susan Hill. I enjoyed Rebecca, even though Max literally gets away with murder, but I really didn't enjoy the so called 'sequel'.
    Susan Hill seemed to run out of ideas and just bumped Max off, presumably as revenge for Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't think SHs sequel was brilliant either. I believe somebody else has written a sequel, cannot remember details

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!