Saturday 5 August 2023

It's A Wrap!

Back in June, the weather was warm, and I was in my briefest summer pjs - a vest and shorts. It occured to me that if we were having a house guest, I really ought to pop on a dressing gown to spare everyone's blushes. My fleecy winter one is way too thick. I checked out the stores in Norwich one sunny Thursday afternoon, and looked online that evening. 
Everything cool and cotton seemed either way too expensive for my budget and the cheaper ones were made of cheaper sticky silky nylon. Then the great Bedroom Refurb began. I realised I could no longer keep the Wedding Present Duvet Cover, even though I love it. It has been altered once, when we went from a regular Double to as Kingsize bed, and I'd added a plain blue border [made from the bottom sheet which came with it in 1979] But is was so thin, You genuinely could read the paper through it.
But there was enough good fabric to make a wrap.  I found a FREE pattern online. The designer calls it a wrap, others refer to this as a faux-mono. I can understand those who are unhappy abut any sort of wrap being called a kimono. That is like saying every pleated skirt is a kilt, or every shawl is a pashmina. 
The width of the duvet meant I could draft the whole body section in one piece, without adding panels as on the original pattern. I used the narrow border pattern to cut facings and sash, and the larger floral pattern for the body and sleeves. It has worked well. It is light and cool. I was in a rush [as I often am] and omitted the pockets - but I keep reaching for a tissue...so these will definitely be added soon, when other sewing tasks are done. 
By the way, do you like the new duvet cover? It is from the John Lewis Anyday Range bought with our accumulated tokens to go with the new bedroom. Not sure how to describe the colour, it is a greeny blue shade called Fjord on the JL website [where it looks much bluer than it actually is]
I now have just two sets in use - one on the bed, one spare.  And I have applied this rule to spare bedding as well. And so everything stores neatly in the new drawers. Surplus 'decent stuff' has gone to the CS, and worn stuff sorted - the better for the Fabric Stash, the remainder for Bob's ragbag. 



17 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to reuse your old duvet cover! A very nice robe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and well made too-yes I agree about a pocket! Love the new duvet cover too. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Now I have to go into the loft and search the Great Stash. I can't remember where I put the leftover pieces of fabric!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I wish more dresses were made with pockets

      Delete
  4. That's a wonderful transformation!!!
    Your new dressing gown looks fab. I agree that you definitely need pockets though! Duvet covers make great bases for sewing projects. I found a cute dinosaur duvet cover in the charity shop and sent it to my penpal Katie (ex-blogger) and she made in into a dressing gown!
    I own 5 dressing gowns!! Eek!
    The first I've owned since I was 11 and is a genuine Japanese kimono given to me by Auntie Norma. I cherish it. Then my next is a Bamboo towelling one which Mum bought for me for my birthday about 13 years ago. It's good after a bath/shower. The next is an ivory, paisley silk one which I bought for £3 at the village fete in 2011 at music camp as I'd forgotten to bring mine to music camp and don't really like dashing from Tent to shower in just my jammies. I was fortunate to find it and then serendipitously it served well as my bridal one when having hair and make up done. The 4th one is a Bamboo full length one in turquoise peacock print. I have matching pjs (my favourite). Mum bought them for herself but she didn't like the fit of them so passed them all along. The final one is a short cropped fleecy one which I regard as a bed jacket (from Primark) which my little sister gave to me as a Christmas present in 2014. I wear it when reading in bed and then take it off to sleep.
    I am well equipped in the dressing gown department! Should probably get rid of some but I like them all for different times! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely an excess of DGs Kezzie

      Delete
  5. Wow, that's so resourceful. I love the new bedding too
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So clever, Ang, using up the old duvet cover and a free pattern to boot! Good luck finding the leftover fabric for a pocket or you will have to go with a contrasting one or insert one in the side seam. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps a contrasting one will have to suffice.

      Delete
  7. The last time I bought a dress pattern I was amazed at how expensive they are now and also how flimsy the paper is, almost impossible to use more than once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My last pattern was from Tilly and the Buttons. Pleased to say it was good quality paper, already used it twice (but they are not cheap - and home dressmaking is no longer a way to build an inexpensive wardrobe)

      Delete
  8. Brilliant! Perhaps any remaining bits of the beloved duvet cover can be used to trim other nightwear?
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If anyone can make a new dressing gown from an old duvet cover, you certainly can, Ang. It's very pretty and its back story is so nostalgic. Contrasting pockets would be perfect. I would call the new cover colour Teal?Either way, it's very smart. I love the idea of just having what you need in the linen cupboard so that's my next project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that your linen cupboard may be like mine, in that there are a few items with "nostalgic value" but they no longer get used. And some are a bit too worn for a Charity Shop, but not ready for the ragbag. I am trying to find ways to repurpose this fabric. Bedlinen and tablecloths usually have large expanses of usable fabric in between the tears and stains. It's the challenge of marrying up something "needed" with the appropriate preloved fabric.

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!