Sunday 27 August 2023

Remembering...

Auntie Peggy and Cousin Gill always remembered. [Gill was chief bridesmaid, her dad acted as bridal chauffeur] And this year I missed the Wedding Anniversary card... But I have good memories, which are more durable than greetings on paper. 

Last Saturday Julian brought me a very special gift. Peggy's will, quite properly imho, left everything to him. Except for one bequest - she left me her eternity ring and her engagement ring [and instructions that I am to bequeath them to Liz and Steph!] Julian thoughtfully bought a ring box to hold both side-by-side. I've been wearing Peg's lovely diamond and sapphire band on my right hand for the past week.

Bob put it in his ultrasonic cleaner and it really sparkles now. I notice it whenever I glance at my hand, and remember a very special woman, full of love for her family, full of faith and trust in God. Generous and thoughtful. Back in our distant childhood, Gill teased me that in old age, I'd inherit my Mum's ring with its minuscule gem. [it is really small, think of a mustard seed - appropriate as she had no wealth but much faith] But she would have a large blue sapphire with 10 diamonds, each bigger than Mum's stone. Sadly Gill died first - and now I wear both rings. Mum's on my left hand [it replaces my own engagement ring, which broke, and the two pieces were stolen] and Peg's on my right. This seems a good arrangement. Left hand ring symbolising love, and right hand for empowerment [according to this
Maybe less long lasting but equally lovely, the "Blessings" rosebush I planted in their memory is really blooming well. 

Pink blossoms, which turn slightly peach. A beautiful fragrance. Here's one on the bush - and the other from my breakfast-in-bed tray yesterday. Faith, hope and love remain. But the greatest is love. 


18 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea and a way of remembering loved ones every day! I have something similar planned for my daughters on my demise, but for now I have my mother's engagemnent and wedding rings on my right hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter inherited my mother's beautiful diamond ring. She has never worn it as she is afraid it might get lost or stolen. Your rings are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This ring fits snugly, I've decidedit is less likely to get lost or stolen if I am wearing it

      Delete
  3. This is a very thoughtful bequest from your aunt. They'll remind you of the love you shared with your aunt and cousin, and be carried on to your daughters. My niece has my mother's rings, which she uses as her engagement and weddings rings as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful that these symbols of love can be passed down the generations

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful bequest. The diamond and sapphire one is similar to my engagement ring. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are clearly a woman of good taste!💍

      Delete
  5. How lovely of your Aunt Peggy to leave her rings to you and then they will go to Liz and Steph. My daughter has Mum's engagement ring and I have the opal ring Dad bought when I was born. I think Gill would have been very sad at the demise of Wilko's. Enjoy your rings. Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great that these symbols of love can be shared. Yes, Gill would have been sad about Wilko - and concerned for colleagues losing their jobs

      Delete
  6. Lovely rings and lovelier memories.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that you received these rings to pass down to your own daughters! And planting that rose bush is a lovely way to remember your aunt and your cousin. I wanted to plant a memory garden after my mother died and then, I realized that the entire garden was a memory garden because everywhere I looked, there were plants that she had planted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I know your garden brings so much joy ❤️😊👍

      Delete
  8. I inherited rings from my grandmother, and when our son married, I gave him her wedding ring for himself as it fit perfectly. Another ring with amethysts, I had resized as a welcome gift for our future daughter-in-law on the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Late to this but loved reading it. I've got my dear mum's wedding ring on my right hand, which is such a great reminder of her.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!