Wednesday 4 October 2023

I Smashed It!

My favourite 1 pint Pyrex jug took a tumble on Monday afternoon and ended up in pieces on the kitchen floor. Fortunately I have a second identical one [bought when we first got Cornerstones] 

My first Pyrex jug, acquired as a student was similar to this, with a closed, loop handle. But the Corning Company decided to update the style in 1983 and went in for the 'open' handle, which enabled stacking. Over the past 40 years, I have acquired a complete set of these
I now have a ½pint, 1 pint, 2pint and 4pint. And also a 2pint with the markings worn off. When I replaced it,  the design had changed from short and squat to tall and slim - so all 5 stack neatly. The 4 pint is big and heavy and has a closed handle. I use all of them, frequently.

I love Pyrex, and its crazy history... The Corning Glassworks in New York State developed in 1908 a borosilicate glass which could withstand heat, and was use for railroad lanterns and battery jars. One of their scientists, Jesse Littleton, had an idea. He took home one of these jars and got his wife Bessie to try baking a cake in it. She loved it - the glass worked well in her oven and did not warp like metal cakepans. The rest is history...
They'd called their original glass Nonex but for kitchen use, and pies, they combined those two words and got Pyrex. The 12-piece range, including pie plate and loaf pan, was launched in 1913. The printed designs were made until the 1980s.
Jessie and Bessie had four children - and three of them went into the glass industry. 50 years after his Dad developed Pyrex, Harvey, who was extremely artistic, started using glass as a medium for artworks. Harvey founded the American Glass Studio

I used to have dozens of pieces of Pyrex -it was always available for pence in Charity Shops, and it was so useful if I needed to take a contribution to a Church Supper, or deliver a Shepherd's Pie or Apple Crumble to a friend. So easy to store and reheat [in oven or microwave] But I have radically reduced my collection now. 

Bessie and Jesse- sweet young newlyweds, who really did change the way we cook!
Do you use Pyrex - and what is your most useful Pyrex product? 
And why does Lakeland only stock ONE Pyrex product now, the pudding bowl?

And thankyou for all the great suggestions yesterday, for upcycling my Moppe Boxes




32 comments:

  1. My pet peeve is eating food off a Pyrex plate; something about the way you can see the table through the plate and food... we stayed in a company flat for 6 months and I went and bought a replacement set of plates bowls and mugs instantly! I don't have the same issue with drinking from a glass or serving out from Pyrex dishes...odd?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dislike having hot drinks in glass cups. I've got two "opal white" Pyrex plates - do you find those difficult?

      Delete
    2. So long as they are not completely transparent!

      Delete
  2. I have a 2 cups (16 oz.) Pyrex jug, two mixing bowls, two casserole dishes and some baking trays. I also have several Corningware dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a double disaster a few years ago when I knocked my stack of 2 pyrex jugs out the cupboard and they smashed! I've had various bowls and oven dishes-very useful! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kezzie, what a catastrophe, to smash a stack! I remember an awful Sunday when Mum got home from church and lifted the casserole from the oven... And it fell and smashed. We had bread and butter for lunch.

      Delete
  4. I got my first Pyrex jug with Green Shield stamps! Remember those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! We collected GSS too. Mum got a tea set. Pyrex was a different type of glass then - stronger and better. Today's formulation is apparently less durable

      Delete
  5. The Pyrex jugs and bowls have been part of my life for 50+ years now and you are right that the biggest one is really heavy before it is even filled. One of mine has no red lines or numbers left on it but it gets used frequently nonetheless. When we were married in 1971 we were given lots of casseroles and in fact a dinner set complete with cups and saucers. All gone now to breakage and charity shops. Happy memories on a wild and windy morning.Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we married, the brown glassware (Arcoroc - I think it's french) was trendy. 1978s were very brown. We had a dozen "dessert plates" with two larger serving plates. I've still got them. But they may go to a CS soon - only been used once in 5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After living in the last house with ceramic tiled floor and finding bits of a smashed bowl forever after, I gradually got rid and now just have 3 jugs and one big bowl.
    There is always plenty for sale at car boot sales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boot sales and CS are ideal for collectors.

      Delete
  8. Oh just realised that's not true as I also have some quiche/flan dishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just realised I have one large quiche dish too (it's at the bottom of a stack of serving plates - comes out at BBQs and Xmas)

      Delete
  9. I'm still using our wedding present Pyrex casserole dishes, the patterns worn off but they still have their lids. Not bad for 49 years. Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done, especially for managing to keep the lids!

      Delete
  10. I have a 1 cup, 2 cup and 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup and love them. I used to have Pyrex bakeware with lids and delivered some meals in them to shut-ins in our church. Over the years, they never made their way back to me so I do need to replace them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come to regard the pyrex which go out to others as expendable! But charity shops provide inexpensive replacements

      Delete
  11. It's always heartbreaking when pyrex breaks. I love mine. I think somewhere I have two mint green dishes that were sent over by cousins of my grandmother from the US before the war. I've got to the stage where I'm terrified to use them in case something happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'd be nervous too. Can you use them as"ornamental" dishes for fruit or sweets, rather than cookware?

      Delete
  12. I bake a lot for other people and I love the idea of giving things away with a plate or bowl which doesn't not necessarily be returned! As you say, the charity shops are great for this. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you know that if the piece has "PYREX" on the bottom rather than "Pyrex", it is a better quality, made earlier? I have bought a small pudding bowl and a casserole from a CS and they are in great shape, unlike my other ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did not know that! I shall have to check my stuff now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still have the Pyrex jug that I used to warm my babies' bottles in hot water. Believe me - with my level of clumsiness that is not far short of a miracle because I still use it to measure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an achievement ! I still have the plastic nappy bucket (1982) but the lid got lost years ago

      Delete
  16. I have some very old pyrex casserole dishes I bought at charity shops. I also have even older Fire King, not sure if that was sold in the UK. I love the old colors and designs. I am very careful with the measuring cups, as I prefer the closed handles and I rarely see those in CS. I get a better grip and don't drop them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Fire King here. Some of the older designs were lovely, weren't they?

      Delete
  17. Coincidentally, I found a three set of casserole dishes in a second hand warehouse yesterday. They were coral coloured with white edges vegetable decoration. Unfortunately, they were priced at £45 so I left them.on the shelf!!They were really pretty though and a nice shape.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are great fans of Pyrex and pleased to find that various items turn up in charity shops regularly, often in brand new condition.
    I got a 1 litre jug with a plastic lid a while ago, on special offer via Amazon. It's brilliant for storing liquids in the fridge, covered. However, my OH's favourite item is the ancient half pint jug (with closed handle) which is so old and scratched that the markings have nearly worn off. He can't thicken the gravy or make a cheese sauce without it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the little jug is perfect for sauces for 2!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!