Saturday 14 October 2023

One Life

I have posted before about Sir Nicholas Winton - an ordinary young man in his twenties, visitng Poland in the 1930s. He saw what was happening - and organised trains to carry refugee Jewish children to safety in the UK. He was a London stockbroker, son of a German Jewish family. Hundreds of children owed their lives to this brave man - whose deeds remained almost unknown for almost half a century. Then many of us saw him on the Esther Rantzen 'That's Life' programme in 1988. He was properly thanked for his actions. [Sir Nicholas died in 2015] I cannot watch this brief video without weeping
I was very pleased to discover yesterday that they have finally made a film about this good man - Antony Hopkins plays the older Winton, Johnny Flynn takes the part of the young man. Helena Bonham Carter plays his mother, and Jonathan Pryce also stars. A stellar cast indeed. The Winton family have said how pleased they are with the film.   'I felt as though my father was in the room' said his son.The film will be in cinemas from January 1st. I've told Bob I am determined to go [with some clean hankies in my bag] Here is the newly released trailer for "One Life"

He often quoted a phrase from the Jewish Talmud... 
To save one life is to save the world entire


20 comments:

  1. Oh Angela, I am undone .......

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be a good movie, I think; I hope you are able to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be worth going to the cinema for

      Delete
  3. I didn't need to cry this early in the day and I didn't even watch the video this time! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, it is emotional

      Delete
    2. I know. I've seen it before and as I said, this time I didn't even watch it...and it made me cry! Lx

      Delete
  4. I hope I can get to see that in France...or at least get the DVD. I don't remember the "That's Life" episode, although I have seen the clip several times. It always makes me cry too. Love FD xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can get to see it [if they do bring out a DVD and you cant get it in France, do let me know]

      Delete
  5. I’ll be hoping to see this too-thanks for highlighting. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing man!
    It seems to me there was an earlier movie about him and the rescue of the chilren. Yes?

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are possibly remembering Spielberg's film "Schindler's List" based on the story of the German , Oskar Schindler, who helped many Polish Jews escape the Holocaust.

      Delete
  7. Impossible not to be moved to tears by the clip from "That's Life". I shall look out for the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for highlighting this. I don’t think I will be strong enough to watch the film. My father was a Jewish refugee who came to the UK with his parents as a teenager in 1938. I well up just thinking about. Nicky K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can imagine it is a very emotional subject for you, Nicky. It is so important for us to honour those who enabled the refugees to get to the UK and settle here, at great personal risk to themselves.( I didn't intend to upset people by the post, I'm truly sorry if it has triggered difficult feelings for you)

      Delete
    2. No problem at all, it is very good to remember these things and talk about them. It continues to honour those who died and those who helped people to escape, as you say. I am glad these things are in our minds.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for posting about this. I knew that children were rescued and sent to the UK, but no further information. Maybe the film will make it here also.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!