When there is mildew on fabric, whether wool or linen, or on any piece of cloth or leather … it must be shown to the priest [Leviticus 13]
So I showed Bob, and confessed my error – as we were leaving Cornerstones after a previous visit, I spotted a dirty tea towel in the kitchen – and thoughtlessly dropped it in the laundry bin. On our return, there was a nasty mouldy patch.
However, I discovered that my round IKEA tray was exactly the same size as the bottom of the bin. So I used it to cut out a piece of fabric. This is a bit of green blackout curtain [Marion originally got this to make caravan curtains.Thanks M]
I folded the bin flat, I cut out the mouldy circle of fabric then I pinned the circle in place, [it is kept in place by a spiral spring, but there are two ‘toggle-and-loop’ fastenings so you can keep it flat]
I stitched from the inside round the edges of the hole. This proved difficult- the spring kept trying to expand, and so I was squeezing it flat, and manoeuvring the fabric and trying to stitch in a circle all at once!
[you need three hands here]Then on the underside, I trimmed the surplus fabric [clearly not such a neat circle now!]But inside the bin is fresh and clean, and because it is blackout fabric, the white side is plasticised.
I hope this will reduce any future problems. I showed Bob the refurbished bin, and he declared it “fit for purpose”, so I feel all Levitical Obligations have been duly dealt with!