Wednesday 31 July 2013

Jam Session

I told Liz that we had a glut of figs on the tree, and she suggested making some fig jam. “Waitrose magazine had a great recipe, I will send it to you” she said. Then she could not find it – so emailed that fine store, which promptly sent her a copy of said recipe, which she sent on to me. [Thank you Waitrose!]

clip_image002[7]

IMG_0139

Liz buys over-ripe cheaply on her local market in London, and they are ideal for this recipe.

I weighed my bowlful and recalculated the quantities to make around 350g of deliciousness.

As you can see, my figs have green skins, not IMG_0141purple ones.

The fragrance of the figs, rosemary sprig and lemon zest as it simmered in the pan was wonderful.

It was somehow redolent of sitting in a shady corner of the Pitti Palace Gardens in Florence*.

It took less than 20 minutes to make this half-jar. I do not expect it to last very long. Bob is not very keen on fresh figs, but a spoonful of this with crackers and good cheese is something I am confident he will enjoy.

Pitti_Palace_Florence_Italy*I have been to Italy only once, with Steph, for just four days – but it was a great trip full of warm memories.

I am blessed with two incredibly thoughtful daughters!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks gorgeous.
    Good old Waitrose for coming up trumps with the recipe.
    I have copied it out to keep. One day last autumn we opened the front door of our little holiday home in France to find a basket of figs on the doorstep. This happens often - figs, lettuce, beans, tomatoes, walnuts, roses. They are all little gifts from our elderly neighbour, Mme André and in return I usually give her some of my baking.
    So, I am keeping my fingers crossed for some more figs this year and now I have a good recipe too !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very nice of waitrose to do that would Tesco's I wonder....how does it taste marvelous I suspect!!
    Daisy J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Figs in England, that's marvellous! We had an overladen tree in France but I didn't do much with them, as They were eaten too quickly by my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm some what green that you have figs in your garden!!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fig tree is in the conservatory, where it gets heat, light and shelter. We are watering it well in the hot weather- and continue to pick at least one ripe fig each day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting this recipe! We have fig trees, but I've needed a good jam recipe for years. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not usually big on figs either, but that combination sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!