Saturday 7 April 2012

Easter Saturday

caravaggio, the-betrayal-of-christ

“Man of Sorrows” what a name
For the Son of God who came
Ruined sinners to reclaim!
  Hallelujah! what a Saviour!

jesus pilate

Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood;
  Hallelujah! what a Saviour!

christ_with_the_crown_of_thorns

Guilty, vile, and helpless, we,
Spotless Lamb of God was He;
Full atonement—can it be?
  Hallelujah! what a Saviour!

rubens crucifixion

Lifted up was He to die,
"It is finished!" was His cry;
Now in heaven exalted high;
  Hallelujah! what a Saviour!

rubens Descent from the Cross antwerp

When He comes, our glorious King,
All His ransomed, home to bring,
Then anew this song we'll sing
  Hallelujah! what a Saviour
!

For the disciples, that first Easter Saturday must have been one of complete emptiness. They had seen Jesus die, and had no idea how they were going to keep on living without him. Their Master had gone. They were truly, utterly bereft.

It is different for us now, because we are the other side of the first Easter Sunday. We can have hope in our hearts in a way that they would not have known, or imagined, as they watched the soldiers guarding His tomb. But for me, it is a day of mixed emotions. Tomorrow I will rejoice, today my thoughts and prayers are for those who are suffering the pain of bereavement, and for those who have yet to experience the joy of knowing the Risen Saviour for themselves.

[the hymn is by Philipp Bliss – and if you do not know the story of this prolific hymnwriter, who died tragically, do read it here]

9 comments:

  1. thanks for that Angela, I love reading your blog xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I yours!
      Have a happy and blessed Easter

      Delete
  2. Easter blessings, Angela! You've give me something important to focus on in my prayers and thoughts today--many thanks!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I hit a wrong button somewhere and my comment disappeared - no idea if it was complete or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one (or something like it) :)

      "The pain of bereavement" - I am amazed at how my mom's death in February is making this Easter so much more poignant. The sorrow and suffering and death of Christ are much nearer, and seem more real than ever before - but so also also is the joy of the resurrection.

      I keep thinking "Wow, He gets it. He's been there too." (Been there in a way far worse than I can imagine.) But he's also led the way out of the grave - the firstfruit from among the dead. For in Adam all die; even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for re-sending your comment. Since this morning when I posted this piece, a dear friend here has died. Sadness for her family and friends at our loss - but rejoicing that she is already enjoying heaven - alive in Christ!

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Angela, for your wisdom and your inspirational comments. You have led me to some useful ponderings. May your Easter celebration be joyous and blessed. Dormouse/ fatdormouse

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful hymn-I remember singing this one when I was young. Have a Blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!