Wednesday 4 April 2012

Grate Expectations**

Man with shillelagh

man with shillelagh

Man with horseradish

DSCF3525

Thank you to A A Moore’s, our Village Greengrocer for being so helpful yesterday and managing to source a root for Bob [and Mike Shenton from KMFC who took Moore's Flower Shop (Mike Shenton) / CC BY-SA 2.0">the photo below] It cost £3.50

a a moores

Apparently last year the International Herb Association named Horseradish as Herb Of The Year [now how did we all miss that?]

book

**the horseradish needs to be grated before it goes on the Seder Plate. All the instructions warn us that this will produce copious weeping, infinitely worse than chopping onions, apparently.

8 comments:

  1. Huzzah for horseradish! I can't remember using it when I "did" a Seder meal at school one time, but I assume I must have done. I hope your Seder is a time of fellowship and inspiration for you all. God bless, Dormouse x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wear swimming goggles, wear gloves and a sanding mask when I grate horse radish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I demand a photo of whoever gets the short straw and ends up preparing the horseradish lol. I have heard that it can be pretty vicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be great... Horseradish seems to be Ben's obsession of the year, too - he keeps spotting it growing or for sale or in pictures, but he hasn't actually planted any. Thanks for your comments (and of cours your inspiration for my acrostic series) too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad always made fresh horseradish, and sat outside to grate it.. with warnings for us all to stay indoors. The fumes are nuclear.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely blog; I'm a new follower!
    Best,
    Anne ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, at that price I hope it is VERY strong - mine cost 78p... And we will be using some ready made horseradish sauce - my several Seder recipe books say it's perfectly acceptable to, so there you go. Had enough fun making my haroset...

    Hope you have a great (and grate0 time tomorrow; I'm really looking forward to ours

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!