Tuesday 22 November 2022

But Do They Speak English There?

This was the question once asked by my friend's son when she told him they were having a family holiday in Norfolk. A couple of things I've spotted lately have made me wonder about the literary skills of some folk in this county...
Firstly in the market town of North Walsham. The main market street is being resurfaced. Everything closed to traffic, to the annoyance of many shopkeepers whose customers and deliveries are being inconvenienced. Trade is suffering. Many shop windows carry posters expressing their anger. But there are Council signs explaining the situation
Sadly we didn't see any bussiness. Or any buses either.  And the 8 weeks are well past. No wonder the tradesman are frustrated.
Then I read a headline in the Eastern Daily Press. I think it could have been phrased better.
Deliberately killing a pigeon is sad - but to kill a bird who can ride a mobility scooter is really criminal!
The cruel driver was videotaped by a Norwich vigilante who looks out for, then reports, cruelty to birds. He goes by the name of Peck Savers! 
I must get on - this is proving to be a rather 'bussy' week. 


16 comments:

  1. Thank you for giving me a smile and a little laugh this morning. Love Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can they have misspelled it on an official sign ???? Poor genius pigeon! Again, how could they get that phrasing so wrong? People are horrible to pigeons and they use the justification that they are pests and disease ridden. No excuse for being cruel and inhumane. Kezzie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No excuse for official signs to have mistakes. And no excuse for cruelty

      Delete
  3. It's reassuring to know that "bussiness" is open as usual. As for killing pigeons on mobility scooters, what next?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lack of proper spelling and the use of good grammar on most of the social media sites drives me insane. Whatever you do don't get me started on punctuation either.

    My real pet hate is the purposeful misspelling of words for shop names, no wonder children struggle to pick up the correct spelling, and the modern thing of spelling your child's name with completely random letters just to be different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Calling the register when I was a supply teacher was really difficult sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my children were very young I tried to avoid shopping at Toys R Us or buying anything made by Playskool for those very reasons. Misplaced modifiers are one of my bugbears. I still remember the one our English teacher used as an illustration - “Table wanted by lady with mahogany legs”. News headlines are full of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Then there's the greengrocers misplaced apostrophe! In a recently previous life I got to read a lot of applications for jobs, even those posted on-lined with the advantages of spell checking and (Microsoft US grammar corrections) were frequently so badly written and spelled that it was difficult to understand what the job applicant actually meant to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not understand how people can fill in a job application and not ask someone to check it - but maybe their friends cannot spell either.

      Delete
  8. It happens here too. Back in spring 2019 when the river was in flood, there was a yellow metal sign at the bottom of our road, which read, "ROAD CLOASED"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the books by Catherine Fox had misplaced modifiers' as a running gag; 'pierce with a pin and push off'. My favourite from the book was 'shop assistants will cut cabbages in half on request '

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!