Thursday 17 November 2022

Heads Or Tails?

Happy birthday to my wonderful brother, Adrian, who was 60 yesterday. Bob turned a bowl for him, and we found a 1962 penny to go into it. Then I said it was a shame that if it was fixed with Britannia and the date displayed, we would not see the Queen. Bob solved that problem!
In the bowl, the date, under the bowl, there is the Queen. E2R was on our coinage from 1953 - 1972, Britannia has been there since Roman times. Here is the 2023 1oz Gold Bullion coin, available now - from £1625.06 [it is 
, 999.9% gold] Much as I love my brother, I am not going to buy this for him. I'm afraid the value of the pre-decimal coinage in his bowl is < 10p!
[In case you were wondering - there are two coins involved, set in recesses on either side of the wood]




16 comments:

  1. That's beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best wishes to your brother and I hope you had a nice celebration...or are having it this weekend :-))
    What a beautiful wooden bowl Bob made, it's a wonderful idea with the two recesses for little lucky coins.
    Best regards, Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Viola. I love pictures of the dress you just made which are on your blog. Handmade things are special

      Delete
  3. That's a beautiful bowl and the two coins make it even more special, I think. :) Happy birthday to your brother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to your brother! What a beautiful bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful gift, I would treasure something like that and I'm sure he will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bowl is lovely. How wonderful that you found a coin minted in his birth year!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful work and the coins make it extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great! Does Bob have a big collection of old coins? JanF

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a tin of coins dating back to Victoria - some in better condition than others! I bought the Scottish Thistle one, for Robin's wedding bowl, from eBay for £2.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely bowl, I see the Lathe Palace is getting lots of use!
    We watched SHTR last night, when Stoppard and Stalker were in the costume store and Stalker came out with the lines...
    "Yeah, that's the ski that he took in the face, sir. And, uh, I'm afraid it was downhill from there."
    I almost fell off the sofa laughing, in fact, I'm still giggling about it now!
    We enjoyed every moment of the film, and have already recommended it to my Aunt and two of my cousins!
    Thank you so much for mentioning it to us all, it's very funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it too, and have shared it with your family. Yes, the Lathe Palace is humming with activity!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!