Thursday 24 November 2022

Cake is Coming!

and Happy Thanksgiving to all friends from the USA
"Cake is coming!" has been a favourite phrase in our family since Rosie was just 2½. I thought about it yesterday when I made our Christmas Cake. This year it is half the size of my previous ones. There will be fewer people around to eat it and Bob and I don't want to be eating it till March [or 'pigging out' with daily slices, to get it eaten quicker] I discovered that quantities in my Good Housekeeping recipe will halve neatly to make a cake in my 6"[15cm] round tin.
I am very traditional when it comes to making the cake - using the method I have used since the 1970s.
I use my best Salter balance scales - and ounces not gram weights. A long time ago, all the family were involved in the making of the cake and stirring the  puddings. But this year I was on my own in the kitchen [Bob was on a Zoom call. I was thinking a lot about my family
  • My Mason Cash bowl came from Steph
  • and my red bowl from SIL Denise
  • The 6" tin was Mum's
  • No brandy, just a tbsp cold tea, for my teetotal forbears
  • I put in a grated carrot- like Nan and Mum [and Marguerite Patten] always did. This year a home grown carrot!
In 1990 I bought a panel of fabric which was printed with two Christmas Aprons. I sewed them both up - and kept one for myself and sent one to Gillian. For the last 30 years I've always worn mine when [right] making my Christmas cake. But this year, I wore Gillian's.[left]
Mindful of the cost of fuel, some jacket potatoes and a couple of rice puddings went in the oven too, to make best use of that heat. One RP will go in the freezer. The other, and the JPs will have a quick blast in the microwave when we are ready to eat them.[Although cold RP is delicious too!]
When will you make your Xmas Cake? Or do you not bother?



If you are looking for inspiration, can I recommend Carolyn's recent post at The 1940s Experiment? She has got some wonderful wartime Christmas recipes there, which will certainly eke out your budget if you don't want to spend a fortune on ingredients.

Now I have to plan how I am going to ice this smaller cake.

31 comments:

  1. I haven't made a Christmas cake since my mother died; my daughter doesn't like the taste and I don't want to make one for just myself. We've substituted our Love cake, instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I had to scroll for a while to find this box!
    Well done for adapting! I've never made one since I don't like Fruit Cake. Maybe I should learn for CBC but I'm not sure he's overly bothered.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know where the big space came from - I've removed it now! If it's only CBC who eats it, I shouldn't bother!

      Delete
  3. I don't bake my own Christmas cake but I'm making my fourth batch of Christmas puddings. I seem to have got an informal co-operative where one cousin makes me sausage rolls, another piccalilli, another mice pies and so on. It works well

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was enjoying your post until I got to the bit about cold rice pudding being good - then I felt quite ill!!
    Love the special Christmas cake aprons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! I love milk puddings in all forms...

      Delete
  5. I'm not making a Christmas Cake this year, although I do like them. If I go to Clermont, I might buy a small one in the Irish shop, if they have one, but I'm not overly bothered. I should try to make mincemeat though...we do like our mince pies! Fat Dormouse xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading about an English woman who was driving to France to spend Christmas at her 2nd home. She took the ingredients for her cake, planning to back it there. She was stopped at customs and they confiscated the block of marzipan because they thought it was Semtex

      Delete
  6. Not fruitcake eaters in this family so never had to make a Xmas cake. My Nana used to put sixpences wrapped in baking parchment in her Xmas puddings. Love marzipan and icing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always scared I'd swallow the 6d
      [or worse, break a tooth] if it turned up in my portion, I've never put money in my puds!

      Delete
  7. I don't make Christmas cake now. Over 10 years ago when we were living in Europe I made one substituting ingredients for those that were absent and it turned out fairly well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Substitution is a bit hit or miss, so I'm glad it worked

      Delete
  8. I have never made a Christmas cake, I just don't like them enough to want to bother, even Alan is not that keen really, phew!!

    How lovely that you wore Gillian's apron. The beauty of having things that you use regularly in the house that were gifted from or left to you by other people, is that it feels as though they are with you while you work, and at this time of year that is even more special. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I could imagine Gillian laughing with me and joking about

      Delete
  9. I love Christmas cake and quite enjoy the ritual of making it but this year 2 of my sisters are coming for Christmas and one of them is bringing the cake ( Delia golden version) I do need the make mincemeat though as I have dozens of mince pies to make, hoping to freeze them to avoid stress!
    I love your memories associated with your kitchen equipment.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't do mincemeat as Bob doesn't like it. But there are usually plenty of m pies for me to enjoy at church events

      Delete
  10. Ha ha! An early birthday cake, coffee and walnut too! was delivered to me by a friend just before lunch. Guess what we had for pudding.!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great post Angela! Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for the shout out! C xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made my Christmas cake last month and iced it this week. It is now waiting to be decorated. I spent an hour differing over a variety of different shaped and sizes of tins before I began. Did I want a small cake or a large one? In the end I did both. One for Christmas and the other for my son's 30th birthday which is two weeks before Christmas. Not sure who will get the large one yet! We all love a rich fruit cake in our family. We now have to convert my future daughter in law and persuade her that a fruit cake would be better then a chocolate cake for the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the Scottish wedding the three layers were sponge, chocolate and fruit

      Delete
    2. At the Scottish wedding the three layers were sponge, chocolate and fruit

      Delete
  13. I don't make Christmas cakes anymore as only OH and DIL liked it and I was always left with lots. I now have a baking day making mince pies and gingerbread people with granddaughter who is the same age as your Rosie. Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love fruit cake but my family, not so much. About 8 years ago I made a Lemon Extract Cake that uses the candied fruit and is delicious. MTh The recipe makes two cakes if you back in loaf pans and my family loves it!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Lemon Drizzle but rarely make it

      Delete
    2. A lemon cake with candied fruit sounds wonderful......must look that one up!

      Delete
    3. Sounds like a recipe you would enjoy, Jean

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!