Friday 18 November 2022

Hot Stuff!

We had a reasonable crop of peppers in the mini greenhouse- some from seed, some from my SIL's plants. Bob planted a few chilli pepper seeds, but they did not germinate. The writing on the greenhouse labels all washed off. I had no idea which ones were which. 

The hot weather meant that some got burnt when they touched the glass, others, desperate for water, grew into odd shapes. Not one grew into the traditional fat 'bell-pepper'. We ate some, and I froze some. I made a big salad with lots of my veg back in September - lettuce, tomatoes, peppers - supplemented with canned sweetcorn, spring onions and cucumbers - topped off with chunks off ham and a good dressing. We sat down to eat, and I busied myself pouring the tea etc.

I looked up to see tears pouring down Bob's face. "Whatever's wrong, darling?" I asked, and put a forkful of food into my mouth. Then I felt my mouth burning and my eyes watering. We realised that not all his chilis had failed! "But I thought you like hot peppers" I said "Wasn't that why you planted them?". Bob explained, as he sipped some cooling milk, that he does like chilis, but he prefers to be warned that he is about to encounter them. I don't like them at all.
I have tried hard since to check the peppers used in my cooking. And given him clear warnings if the meal might be unexpectedly hot.
Maybe putting the fire extinguisher on the dining table is a little OTT though...


21 comments:

  1. The importance of an indelible pen when gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a Sharpie, but somehow it didn't work on the strips of white plastic yogurt pot I had used as plant labels in an attempt to be thrifty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops! We've all done it - although in my case it's the tomatoes that get muddled which is not quite so drastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸŒΆπŸŒΆπŸŒΆ

      Delete
  4. Goodness - hot stuff! Think of the health benefits!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lips blister, so not so healthy for me 🌢️πŸ˜₯

      Delete
  5. Not so much a mix-up as a warning - never plant courgettes and cucumbers near each other. They cross-pollinate and you get a bitter yellowish- fleshed “cucumber” which is really not edible. Planting was an accident. The plants were bought at a market on a dark thundery day and neither I or the stallholder could see well in her unlit tent. I got two courgette and one cucumber plant instead of three courgettes (they were 3/$5 or I wouldn’t have bought three in the first place). The leaves are very similar - mostly just a slightly different green. The crossed courgettes were just a bit blander than usual but still useable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the warning πŸ₯’πŸ₯’πŸ₯’πŸ‘

      Delete
    2. I had squashes and courgettes near and got Toxic squash syndrome from my one and only squash!!!

      Delete
  6. Sharpie on Scotch tape lasts through the dishwasher (I label our leftovers) so might so well on the yougurt containers outsdie?
    Sorry - cannot see typos as it's white text on a white backgound.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll perhaps try writing on Scotch tape (Sellotape) next season . Sharpie on lollipop (popsicle) sticks seems to be long lasting

      Delete
  7. Too funny but I'm sorry for your challenging meal - it must have been a shock. I find that any "hot" food, however much I like it, makes my nose run! I've never really understood how some people revel in the extreme hot sauces. A little goes a long way where hot peppers are concerned! Also, say goodbye to enjoying the flavour of anything else at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I guess the hot chilies got the sinuses working and the tear ducts cleared! :D I have some "ghost peppers" in the freezer - to be used with extreme caution! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Or write on the plastic then put tape over it to prevent it rubbing off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I try not to eat chilli after 6pm....

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!