Sunday 20 November 2022

Flicke And Collect

"That's a very famous painting" said Bob, looking at the picture on my screen "Do you know who it is by?"
"Flicke" I replied. Gerlach [aka Garlicke] Flicke was a German portrait painter, who came to London around 1545 [after a time in Antwerp]  and was a painter at the Tudor court. This is his most famous painting- Archbishop Thomas Cranmer.
I was thinking about TC this weekend because of his famous collect. That word is coll-ect, not coll-ect. When the stress is on the first syllable, it refers to a prayer. Specifically, a brief prayer which is supposed to gather/collect together the thoughts of the worshippers as they assemble for worship. Cranmer is the guy who put together the "Book of Common Prayer" - a prayer book first published in 1549 in the reign of Edward VI, out of favour in Mary Tudor's time, but re-instated by Elizabeth I and in regular use in Parish Churches up and down the land until the 1980s, when the CofE introduced the ASB [Alternative Service Book] and then in 2000 'Common Worship'.
And all this is floating in my addled brain because today is "Stir Up Sunday", which many people regard as the day on which to stir up your Christmas Pudding. 'Stir Up' comes from the first words of Cranmer's "collect for the day" 
STIR up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people; that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may of thee be plenteously rewarded; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
As usual, there are articles in food magazines this month about making Christmas puddings, and a few will mention 'Stir Up Sunday'. Poor old Cranmer, his desire for "the fruit of good works" has got somehow lost in the recipes including dried fruit and candied peel!
In other news, my brother recently noticed that our local Tesco Car Park has some new designated parking spaces. Further investigation has revealed that we are getting a new Click&Collect point in Dereham. I wonder why the Scandi giant has chosen our nearest town ? [I have all the furniture I need, thank you!]



15 comments:

  1. For Catholics, today is the Solemnity of Christ the King, the last day of the current liturgical year to be followed by Advent. "Remember me when you come into your Kingdom".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I did not know that. It is somehow fitting to remember the words of the thief on the cross - the end of Christ's earthly life - before we turn to the stories surrounding the beginning, and his birth

      Delete
  2. It's not just the furniture from IKEA. It's the extremely competitively priced candles, kitchenware and home accessories.

    I always love the idea of 'stir up Sunday' when you can imagine the women in the congregation nodding to each other as the collect was read over the centuries. It's one of those 'church as social glue instead of religion' moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall use the "stir up" collect today as the post communion prayer. (current Anglican practice)
    Half my puds are made. Two batches to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize that the word "collect" was pronounced in two different ways with two different meanings!
    No stir-up Sunday, here, no Christmas pudding, either! No Christmas cake, either, for that matter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hearing about stir up Sunday, there's something so reassuring about these words.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lyssa's comment also bears out the sense of security in traditional customs

      Delete
  6. No Christmas cake or pudding in this house either as I don’t like it and husband isn’t supposed to eat it. I have been unable to comment for a few days so hope this one reaches you. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catriona, yes this comment got through OK. I hope you & your OH are able to enjoy other festive foods 🍴

      Delete
  7. I love portraits of people who were around before photography. Good artists capture so much personality of their subjects. I love the collects, too, and there are several from my pre conversion years that I still use, like the prayer for protection that I pray when we stay in a hotel room. Like Philip I celebrated the Feast of Christ the King today. I think we do have a "stir up" collect too, not sure when. When I was growing up my mother, who didn't go to church, had a vaguely pagan incantation that she recited when stirring the Christmas pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to love my Mum making her Christmas pudding in November. We always got a stir! One of those happy fluffy memories from childhood! Nowadays, I don't know if she makes one or not?! It was always massive. It's a pity I don't like it or Christmas cake! Both my Mum and stepmum make Christmas cake. My stepmum loves decorating her one-she's very good at cake decorating!
    It's a shame that Cranmer's message got slightly lost over the years! For some reason, I didn't make the link between the collect and the name of Stir up Sunday! Oops!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my girls lived at home, we all took turns at stirring the pudding

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!