Sunday 13 November 2022

Today We Remember

It will be so very different this year - before we left Leicester in 2015, the service at the London Cenotaph was led by the Queen laying her wreath, followed by her children and grandsons laying theirs. 
This year King Charles will lead the ceremony, and one brother and one son will be absent.
I was woken early on Remembrance Day last year, with the news that my dear cousin Gillian was about to leave this earthly life. Now her memory will forever be a part of this day for me. 
In Proverbs 10;7, it says The memory of the righteous is a blessing
Whoever you are remembering today - a loved one who served in war, and no longer with you - or a precious family member or friend who was a good and loving person - may you be blessed in your remembrance, and find comfort in those good memories.
And may all those who have returned home after serving their country, especially those scarred physically or mentally, be loved and supported as they seek to move on. 
We will remember them, and honour the sacrifices they have made.



10 comments:

  1. My step-father's father and uncle both served in WWI; one brother returned home to Ceylon as the country was called then, but, the other didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess that I did not know that so many men from Ceylon/Sri Lanka fought (and many died) in WW1, having first travelled to Britain to join the army

      Delete
  2. May your blessings be so.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recall reading that almost every British family was effected by the loss of member in WW2.
    My mother's three uncles all served, one was killed in France when the Germans destroyed the hospital where he was recovering from wounds.
    Here in the U.S. we never see people wearing poppies to remind us this day. In Canada they do, so we wear our poppies from Canada and are mindful of the day.
    I can't believe it's been a year since you had the sad news about Gillian. I hope your aunt and G's son are doing better. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the USA was not affected by WW1 or WW2 in the same way. Thank you for your kind words about Auntie Peggy and Julian. Things are going ok at the moment, and at last her phone is working properly so we are able to chat regularly. But it's been a tough year for them.

      Delete
  4. Is it really a year since Gillian died? How quickly time goes, but the grieving takes longer.
    Today is my hero father's birthday, so it is a special Remembrance Sunday. Canada celebrated our beloved fallen officially on the 11th and this Sunday's mass didn't include any mention or the national anthem at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most church services in the UK will have had some sort of acknowledgement of the day. I was preaching in local chapel where the service normally starts at 11am, but today we started early and joined in the 2mins silence. Bob (as a Parish Councillor) went to the service at our village church, where are some commonwealth war graves (Anzac & Canadians buried there) Our own little chapel hosted a united service for their village, following the laying of wreaths at the village war memorial. You'll have had special memories today of your Dad, I am sure ❤️🙏

      Delete
  5. A year since Gillian died! It's hard to believe! I hope P and J are doing ok. Will you be coming to see them at all? (I live in hope of another Ang meet up!). I played piano for the Remembrance service at church yesterday. The minute silence there, and at school on Friday, were very moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure when we'll be in Romford again, our last trip was a lightning visit - but I'll certainly let you know if a meet-up is a possibility!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!