Friday 11 November 2022

Jigs And Jumpers [And A FREE Pattern}

Years ago when I belonged to a knitting group, I made a few mini Christmas sweaters to hang on the tree. I decided to make some for the pop-up shop this year. But I simplified the pattern so I could knit one up in half an hour. Having sorted out some oddments of wool in white, red, green and cream [suitably Christmassy colours] I made a whole batch. 

Bob, who is a very clever chap, made some mini coat hangers with 1mm² copper wire. He created a jig with three screws in a piece of wood, and wrapped the wire around. I think they finish off the decorations beautifully.

For some of the jumpers, I knitted 2 colours into  the pattern as I went along - but for most I stitched it afterwards and added beads or sequins for festive sparkle.


Here is the pattern - using DK wool and size 2.75 needles [old UK 12 or US 2] You need just a few grams.

Mini Christmas Sweater Pattern

  • Leave 20 cm of yarn at the cast on/ cast off for sewing up.
  • Cast on 13sts
  • Knit 4 rows in K1P1 rib OR knit 4 rows in moss stitch.
  • Working in stocking stitch from here on
  • Knit 10 rows 
  • Knit 1 row, cast on 6 sts [19sts]
  • Purl 1 row, cast on 6 sts [25 sts] 
  • in st st work 5 rows.
  • Purl 10 sts, cast off 5 sts, P to end [20sts]
  • Knit 10 sts, cast on 5 sts, K to end
  • st st 5 rows
  • cast off 6 work to end [19 St's] 
  • cast off 6 st work to end [13sts]
  • st st 10 rows
  • work 4 rows in K1P1 rib, OR moss stitch
  • Cast off.
Add contrast stitching and trimmings before sewing up side and underarm seams. The neckline looks neater with a row of blanket stitch round it

Note 1; These are ornaments NOT toys [small beads, sharp wire] and will not fit dolls [neckline way too small to go over head.

Note 2; This is MY pattern, I made it up - and it is free to anyone to copy and use. [But please acknowledge that you found it on this blog]

I think they are rather cute. Thank you Bob for the hangers!

24 comments:

  1. I have two teddy bear glove puppets which are obviously hand knitted to a similar kind of pattern! If you added a few more rows instead of finishing at the neck I reckon these could become fingers puppets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I am so grateful that we can work together on so many different projects

      Delete
  3. You are a great team and the jumpers look fabulous! Thank you for sharing your pattern which I will acknowledge if I use it. Your pop up shop is filling up! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't take long, and uses a very small amount of yarn

      Delete
  4. Well that is gorgeous team work!! You are clever!!! I love them!!! I do so hope lots of people show up to buy these clever things you have made for your pop up shop!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those little sweaters on their custom made hangers are just so cute! As Frugally Challenged stated above, you and Bob work so well together as a team! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the hangers add to their "Sales value" or whatever the correct term is. (Steph will tell me, I'm sure)

      Delete
  6. What a brilliant idea, just what I need for Christmas fundraiser, Thankyou. My creative mojo has gone awol but these just might bring it back. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quick, and simple. I knit up 3 or 4, then decorate them and finally sew up the seams.

      Delete
  7. These are adorable, Angela. Thanks for sharing your pattern. I wonder if I can find my no. 12s?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a forgiving pattern and doesn't need to fit anyone. 11s or 13s would probably work (2.5 or 3mm)

      Delete
  8. I love these, they will sell fast! I had a cute miniature bridal gown on a tiny hanger which I had on display in our laundry room for ages. I finally sent it to my niece in England. I still keep a tiny hanger there, it was on a Birthday card originally. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why are mini things so cute?

      Delete
    2. Some giant things are cute too! We have a clock about 10 in wide which hangs on the wall as a wristwatch. JanF

      Delete
  9. I love them, and the little hangers are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wizard sweaters and hangers!! You and Bob make quite a team!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute, and patient work I'm sure
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!