Wednesday 16 November 2022

Three To See

Just a quick review of three films we have recently enjoyed. NO SPOILERS HERE - and my apologies to those who do not have access to streaming services like Amazon, Netflix and Disney +


The Courier, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, is based on the true story of British businessman Grenville Wynn, who was recruited by MI6 and worked for them in Russia in the 1960s. This was a clever film, and BC was excellent. Period 'sixties' details seemed pretty accurate to me. Not exactly a cosy, comfy story. But interesting nonetheless, to see how an ordinary bloke could get caught up in international espionage.****

Enola Holmes 2 is another escapade for Sherlock's younger sister. Millie Bobbie Brown and Henry Cavill reprise their roles as siblings., Helena Bonham Carter is Mother [in her usual HBC style] and Adeel Akhtar is once again the wonderful, slightly bemused Lestrade. The plot cleverly  centres on a genuine historic event. A bit OTT in places, but a great romp for all that. The last scene clearly sets things up for film #3. ****


This was the best of the three. A classic whodunit, using the 1952production of Ms Christie's "The Mousetrap" as a framework. The play celebrated its 70th anniversary last month - but you do not need to have seen it to enjoy the film. [This is the world's longest running play - and at the end, a member of the cast speaks to the audience and asks them not to tell anyone else whodunit. I saw it in 1977 - and I haven't ever blabbed.] The original cast included Richard [Dickie] Attenborough, and he's played very convincingly by Harris Dickinson. Saoirse Ronan is an amazing  WPC Constable Stalker. She loves old movies and her impersonation of Katherine Hepburn is flawless. The whole thing is full of tropes, and clever word play. We laughed so much. It's the sort of film you want to watch again to catch up on jokes you missed first time round. Filmed in fab 1950s locations. *****

If you are not into sport, and you have no interest in 'Celebrities' in the jungle, these three make for pleasant TV viewing. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did. 


14 comments:

  1. Absolutely no interest in people in jungles. I saw Enola Holmes from mid-way (CBC was watching it)& enjoyed it. Is the Mousetrap one available on Netflix? I'd like to see that.
    I've not seen the Mousetrap but I know whodunnit as when I lived in Bali, I was desperate for free English reading material and my college library had a book of 4 Agatha C playscripts including the Mousetrap! I guessed whodunnit correctly! Definitely would like to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw SHTR on Amazon prime, but it's also currently playing in the cinemas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the reviews and the linked trailers. I don't have any streaming services, but, I enjoyed watching trailers! I think The Courier is my favorite of the three. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since watching I looked up more details. The film is very accurate, and BC looks incredibly like him, moustache and all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recommendations. I recently watched "Peace by Chocolate", set in Nova Scotia and based on a true story about an immigrant family who brought their chocolate making skills to Canada. It's worth watching, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We enjoyed the first Enola Holmes, but didn't find number 2 as good. We thought it was a decent watch, but not great.
    Have already made plans to watch The Courier this weekend, I love, love, love BC!
    Will definitely be looking out for SHTR!
    Thanks for the recommendations! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BC is a great actor with such a wide range, from the radio comedy of Cabin Pressure to classic drama like Parades End and all points in-between.

      Delete
  7. I would say that See How They Run was one of my favourite films of the year. She is so good

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still won't let me sign in .
    I saw The Mousetrap in 1989 and I can't remember who dunnit! I can usually read an Agatha Christie twice if I leave a long enough gap...
    Lynn P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the film tips. I'll see if I can get the films... I love watching good films. I am particularly interested in No. 1 and 3. Many thanks and best regards.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!