Tuesday 8 November 2022

Really Retro

 My Mum had just three cookbooks - an ancient Be-Ro book, Delia Smith's "Book of Cakes" and Marguerite Patten's "Cookery in Colour". She loved MPs book, and when any member of the church got married, she usually gave the happy couple a copy of this as a wedding present. When Adrian and Marion were moving house recently, they passed Mum's battered old book on to me.
Inside was a carefully folded recipe for a coffee and walnut sponge, torn from a magazine. Bob is really fond of C&W, so I decided to make one for his birthday. Sadly the paper is badly torn - and the instructions for time/temperature are missing! Fortunately the Stork website still has a similar recipe. When Bob went off to the Hospice on Thursday afternoon, I set to and baked his birthday cake.
It did not rise quite as well as I'd hoped, and the icing was a little runnier than expected. But it tasted good, nonetheless.
There is a very similar recipe in Delia's book. Delia's recipe requires 'coffee granules' - but the Stork one specifies 'coffee essence'. 
That is "Camp Coffee", a coffee& chicory liquid which has been around for 150 years. Back in Victorian Times, when India was 'the Jewel in the Crown' of the British Empire, hundreds of British soldiers were deployed to the subcontinent. The story goes that the Gordon Highlanders wanted to have a simple way of making coffee when they were on the march and in camp. 
Here is the bottle with the original label. General Sir Hector Macdonald is pictured outside his tent, and a Sikh servant brings him coffee on a tray. The CIC's bearskin is on the ground at his feet.
Over the years, this label has been redrawn a number of times. But until relatively recently, the bottle was made of glass. I only ever used Camp as an essence [never to make a drink!] and so my bottle was old and sticky. Before we left Dorset, I rinsed and recycled the one from my cupboard, which has barely a tbsp of liquid at the bottom.
Here's my new, plastic bottle. The Sikh and the Officer now sit side by side, as equals, sharing coffee together. The flag over the tent still says "Ready, Aye Ready" - the battalion's motto meaning Ready, Always Ready - a nod to the convenience of the product.
The label on my bottle alerted me to The Camp Coffee Club - a website with dozens of useful recipes, including yet another coffee and walnut cake.
Maybe this bottle will get used up faster than the previous one.

Mum's cookbook lost its colourful dust jacket years ago, and is now covered in clear 'Fablon' ['sticky-backed-plastic' as they always called it on Blue Peter]
I shall enjoy reading it through again, seeing what recipes were popular in the 1960s - just after rationing ended, but before soft margarine, food processors, and microwaves reached the average domestic kitchen. We had lovely home made biscuits at our craft group yesterday - and were told "the recipe came from another mum when I was at Toddler group, more than 40 years ago"
Are there any retro recipes or ingredients regularly used in your kitchen?


26 comments:

  1. Spam! I always keep a tin in the cupboard for breakfast as an easy alternative to bacon and for sandwiches! Intrigued by the spam museum…!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our eldest granddaughter will be thirty this month. She has asked me to write out for her my favourite recipes,and those I remember of my mam and gran. I’ve a nice notebook, and have started. She has also asked me to write my own memories of being thirty, so I’m getting my thoughts and memories together. I also have an old treasured Bero book. Bob’s birthday cake looks lovely. Love Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely idea - and a gift to treasure

      Delete
  3. I'm intrigued by the inclusion of chicory (a vegetable we love) in coffee. What on earth is the origin of that being used???
    CBC loves Coffee and Walnut also. Maybe I should try to get over my reticence to bake cakes and give it a go for his birthday next year (I'm not a C&W fan)
    I loved that MP book. We had a children's cookery book we used with my Dad and I'm sure that was by a Patten. Happy memories of time spent with my Dad when we used to spend weekends with him when he and Mum had first split up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is believed that it dates back to the Napoleonic era when shipping blockades meant the French used the chicory root as a coffee substitute. Afterwards it remained as an additive. It is believed to be healthier- it reduces the amount of caffeine in your cup AND continues high levels of inulin - a prebiotic soluble carbohydrate, which may improve gut health, reduce cholesterol and control blood sugar. So if you are eating it regularly as a veg Kezzie, you should be doing fine!!

      Delete
  4. Camp was the only coffee my Grandma used but I've not tasted it in 35 years.
    And I've not made a coffee sponge for ages either. Must put that right ASAP as it always comes out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember back in the 60s&70s that some of the Church Ladies used to have a bottle to make coffee [which always tasted disgustingly milky to me!]

      Delete
  5. Hope Bob enjoyed his birthday cake!
    I have a few of my mother's old recipe books and although I haven't made anything from them in years, I often enjoy just looking through them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just reading the recipes, and enjoying that, is often a better idea than actually trying to recreate them, I think

      Delete
  6. I love Camp coffee! Or rather, I did love it, until they altered the ingredients slightly, now it tastes completely different, and not in a good way!
    It's still great for baking though, my husband loves anything coffee flavoured, but cannot drink coffee itself as it's 'too bitter'!
    We often eat 'Cheese Pudding', it was made
    during the war by my Grandmother for my Mum and her siblings, and later by Mum for her own family.
    It's lovely, comforting, great on a cold evening, and in our house, always served with bacon and broccoli, or baked beans if I'm in a particularly idle mood!
    We also, like Steph, have a tin of Spam in the cupboard at all times, and very, very occasionally I make Spam fritters, and we have a really tasty but unhealthy supper. Memories of childhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must get a can or two of Spam for emergencies!

      Delete
  7. My late father loved Camp coffee with hot milk. Probably left over from his war service. I still occasionally make a mince and pasta dish using a tin of condensed soup-either tomato or mushroom.Grated cheese on top and heated through in the oven. My niece used to call it Aunt Trina’s mincey bits when she was small and would request it when she stayed for tea. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Condensed soups are a good standby but they do seem to have gone up in price recently [hasn't everything?] Campbells still produce chicken, tomato and mushroom, but all varieties 3 cost well over £1 a can. I used to use the condensed chicken one at Christmas to fill puff pastry vol-au-vents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AMIL's favorite cookbook was "The Joy of Cooking" and about 18 years ago she called to ask if our newer copy had a particular recipe because that page had fallon out of her much loder sookbook. I decided to gert her a new copy for her birthday but as I looked on eBay, there was a pristine copy of her old cookbook. Perfect as she had almost memorized that editition. She was overjoyed to have a newish copy of her favorite cookbook and I was pleased that she was pleased.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the JOC is incredibly popular in the States, and has been much revised since the original 1931 edition. I confess it is now a book I have ever looked at. Must check out the big library in Norwich for it...

      Delete
    2. It was the JOC that I turned to when a neighbour offered me two wild ducks that her husband shot when borrowing our canoe. She didn't want them, I didn't want them wasted, so I plucked, drew and cooked them!

      Delete
    3. I'm always impressed by somebody who can take a fowl, pluck, draw and prepare it. My grandmother had those skills

      Delete
  10. I loved this trip back in time - my mum had the be-ro books and also bought them for us girls. Her absolute favourite cake was the coffee and walnut made with camp coffee and we still make it fairly often in her honour, it's so reliable and popular with most people, even those who don't like coffee!
    We always have to have a tin of corned beef in the fridge for my husbands peace of mind - I think in the war it was known as bully beef?
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always loved c and w cake but have yet to try to bake one. I have our daughter look for one when she is in London but she hasn't seen one either.
    BTW last trip she discovered ( at M and S) a Bakewell tart flavored Icelandic yogurt. She said it was wonderful! JanF

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I may have owned Cookery in Colour. I passed on a book which looked like that to my friend after her house burned down. She came to Canada married with children, missing her British background. I came as practically a newlywed, ready for everything new. But we still share memories of the old country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of Brits in Canada say that I've noticed

      Delete
  13. Added camp coffee to my shopping list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a youngster I remember my mother always stocking upon Camp coffee as this was the only thing that one of my aunts would drink (and frequently laced with brandy) when she came to visit. One of my favourite cookbooks was the Delia Smith cookery course in 3 volumes that she did with the BBC in the late 1970s/early 1980s, still refer to it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that three volume DS set too (but sold it to Ziffit on the retirement Downsize!)

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!