Monday 14 November 2022

Vested Interests

 Vest, gilet, waistcoat, jerkin, bodywarmer, weskit or doublet*...whatever you call it, this item is so useful at this time of the year. Something which covers your upper torso, and adds an extra layer of warmth, but is sleeveless - so doesn't restrict arm movements, or prove impossible to fit on underneath a coat or jacket. You see a lot of them round here - popular with gardeners, stablehands, market traders, and members of the hunting-shooting-fishing brigade. If you are working outside, they are an invaluable part of your wardrobe. 
Ten years ago, when we lived in Kirby Muxloe, Liz sent me a link to the Joules catalogue. Out of my price range! but I picked up a navy fleece gilet from a CS - originally Edinburgh Woollen Mills - and it has served me well for a decade. 
But it has worn very thin and had some stains. I looked again in my wardrobe
I have two fleece jackets with sleeves. In the years before retirement, I kept one here for cold days. It was my official jacket when I was involved in the organisation of the Baptist World Alliance Centenary Congress in Birmingham in 2005. But it is good quality and warm. I decided I could cut off the sleeves and hem the armholes. 
That would have been the easy thing - but I decided to go one step further. I had some great floral IKEA furnishing fabric, leftover from making covers for my mate's garden furniture in 2017. 
I cut out a lining, folded under the edges of top, bottom and zip, and handstitched them in place inside. Then on the outside,  I used the machine to 'stitch in the ditch' along existing lines [including side seams] to hold everything firmly. I folded the inner fabric out, over the edges of the armhole to make a 'self binding' finish.
It fits well, and is long enough to keep my bum warm when I'm bending over the Raised Bed. The pockets are big, and zipped, so hold keys, phone and purse safely. And the edged armholes, and pretty lining are a special detail. I spent an hour or so outside on Friday and was warm and snug all the time. Upcycling at its best!
*Nobody wears doublets any more. Ancient Tudor joke "did you hear about the court minstrels? they were so poor they had to pawn their doublets and sit around in their singlets". A doublet was a double thickness [ie lined] garment, usually worn with "hose" [tight fitting leggings] I have altered and lined my fleece jacket, and now it is a doublet!



.

18 comments:

  1. Great job, Ang!! It looks marvellous! If you wanted to go one further, you could add some embroidery to the collar!! I love your innovation! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I hadn't thought of embroidering the collar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done upcycling and refashioning your fleece jacket! Embroidering the collar would take it up a notch, I'm sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have to think about what to add - a pattern, or a motif? As it is primarily to wear in the garden, perhaps a wheelbarrow or watering can? Or just some flowers...

      Delete
  4. Love this! I've bought several over the years, now designated 'indoor', 'outdoor', gardening and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - I'm seriously impressed
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, Angela.
    I buy men’s gilets in Sainsbury’s sale. They are longer in the back. What can you make with the sleeves! A hat, leg warmers, wellie liners?
    Nelliegrace

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever makeover, Ang. I so admire your sewing skills AND your imagination. On one of our Road Scholar programs there was a lady of 70 who had a jacket with zip out sleeves- so very useful. She said she had made it from scratch herself.
    Today is the horrid Anniversary of our flood. Thank goodness it's dry today. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten that it's just a year since your flood. You must be so glad to be dry and straightened out now

      Delete
  8. Your sewing skills are impressive! I have no idea how you did that, but it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely! My daughter is going to turn one of my late husband’s fleece gilets into a baby sleeping sack. This should keep baby snuggly warm, and will be a nice link to the grandad he never got to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks warm and attractive and the zippered pockets will be useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to know that keys and phone are safely zipped away

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!