Thursday 10 November 2022

Livres De Cuisine

Back in 1989 I read Peter Mayle's best selling memoir about how he and his wife moved to a property in France and spent a year trying to do it up. This was before Brexit, and before Escape To The Chateau. At the time his idea seemed crazy, and his gentle self-deprecating humour was a popular and easy read. At that point I had only been twice to France [day trip to Calais, and 3 days in Paris on a City-break in 1981] but I loved the country and its food. 
This book is based on fact
Then in 2011, I stumbled across "In and Out of the Kitchen" - a radio 4 sitcom written by, and starring, Miles Jupp. He plays Damien Trench, a fussy, perfectionist cookery writer and his laid-back partner Anthony. Each episode features dialogue, Damien's diary entries, and his description of one of his recipes. I find it really funny [his mum played brilliantly by Selina Cadell [sister of the late Simon of Hi-de-Hi fame] This is fiction - although the recipes are almost all genuine

Crossing the line between the two is a book which Liz just lent me. "L'appart" is the story of an American guy moving to Paris, and deciding to do up un appartement. The author, David Lebovitz, is, like Damien, something of a perfectionist cookery writer. And 
like Mayle, he's quite unaware of the meaning of the French term normalement, as used by builders when asked to say when a job will be finished. [he obviously has not read AYIP]
Here is David [right] and his laid-back French partner, Romain. The book is full of 'delights and disasters' - and more than two dozen [all genuine] recipes.
I don't know DLs other books [he's written loads] I really liked reading the recipes - and have successfully made IKEA style meatballs using his method. Full marks for having a good index for the recipes.
I did get slightly frustrated ¾ of the way through - I began to think "nobody is this stupid. Why doesn't he change builders?" but on the whole it was a fun read. Based [mostly] on fact. 
Rating**** But I think Damien Trench is funnier [and you can find him here on Radio 4 Extra 



16 comments:

  1. I loved a Year In Provence. I watched the TV adaptation first, as a child, which was delightful, and then read the book a few years ago. I do like books with good food description in them. I think it stems from an early diet of Enid Blyton and being permanently hungry during my childhood! Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except that EB's "sticky buns and fizzy pop" picnics would be frowned upon now. Children's lunchboxes have to contain carrot sticks, hummus, and flavoured water!

      Delete
  2. You do some of the best book reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Peter Mayle was partly responsible for our move here! When I read his books now I do find them a tiny bit patronising towards the French in places, but his love of the country, people & food is palpable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree about the "tiny bit patronising" - but he does love the country, its food and its people, as you say. I wonder how many others were influenced by his move?

      Delete
  4. They look like they are worth a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Borrowed from the library or friend or cheap from CS. Not worth permanent bookshelf space!

      Delete
  5. I loved A Year in Provence when it first came out, it was a really easy and enjoyable read. I would love to live in Paris for a year ... but I bet it would be very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AYIP was good, didn't enjoy the sequel quite so much. Have you read Little Paris Kitchen by Rachel Khoo? That's more recipes than memoir, but still fun.

      Delete
  6. I read all of Peter Mayle's books (including his fiction) way back when and David's books, too. He is a recognized pastry chef with a long history of top restaurant work in the US. He has a website--davidlebovitz.com with a lot of recipes (just scan the photos on the opening page--yum), along with any number of Paris recommendations and other ideas. He and his partner have moved again--to another Paris arrondissement--since he wrote L'apart--this time only the kitchen/LR area of the property has been remodeled. It's a big, beautiful kitchen just right for a chef.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary for the link to DLs website. I did not know about him till Liz lent me the book. I'll enjoy learning more ...

      Delete
  7. In and Out of the Kitchen is my favourite programme ever. So glad you enjoy it too.
    Nicky Keep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never found anyone else who listens. Pleased you do, Nicky! Miles Jupp is so clever.

      Delete
  8. I also listen to In and Out of the kitchen, but then again I do have Radio 4 Extra on most of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listen to a lot of R4X too. Mostly the quizzes and detective stories

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!