Tuesday 15 November 2022

Slow, Slow, Quick, Quick, Slow

This was the catchphrase of Victor Sylvester, who had a "ballroom orchestra" [slightly more genteel than a 'dance band'] If you are too young to remember him, his story is here. He was on the TV when I was a child, and everything was black and white, and his dance programmes were a million miles away from "Strictly" [no I don't watch Strictly, not my thing]
I was thinking about his phrase [SSQQS is the footwork timing for the foxtrot] at the weekend, after a discussion over lunch about slow cookers and airfryers.

Aldi's airfryer [Ninja copy] went on sale this weekend, and apparently sold out in minutes. I have considered getting one, and continue to be of the opinion that I just do not need it. I fully understand why Liz and Steph love theirs - and if I were working full time and had small children to feed, the speed and convenience is something I would really appreciate. And I get that they use a lot less power. But I am not under such time pressure, and I do not want another item on the worktop. And after considering the sort of meals Bob and I eat, I don't think it is right for us. But I fully acknowledge that they have their place in many kitchens and I am not judging you if you buy one. But my cooking of late has definitely been slow slow rather than quick quick.
I have three slow cookers- a tiny one from the 1980s [a free gift with another purchase] a middle sized one [3.5l] from around 2000, and a humungous one [6.5l] bought in a sale just after we got to Dorset. And they all get used at various times.
Two weekends ago I made a chicken and chorizo casserole when Adrian and Marion came over. It was so easy, I put the ingredients in the 3.5l pot in the morning, and by the evening everything was cooked beautifully. And it uses a small amount of power - around 5p an hour. It cost me 30p to cook my casserole, and it keeps the kitchen warm.
Last weekend I used my littlest one to make the dessert for lunch as we had Liz and family with us.  I loaded it up after breakfast, before I went to church and it made the creamiest rice pudding with no fuss at all. I had a carton of UHT whole milk in the cupboard and it took no effort to make this. Rosie had seconds, and then thirds! 
After the family left, Bob stripped the remaining meat from the chicken, and the bones and a few leftover veg went into the pot to make some stock. Again another fuss free recipe.
I'm not making a Christmas pud this year - but slow cookers are a great way to do steamed puddings. No boiling dry, and the kitchen is warm but not steamy, and again, it is cheaper than a pan on the hob.
In our lunchtime discussion, we decided that air fryers are good at 'dry' and slow cookers good at 'wet' recipes [altho if you have one like Stephs, that makes casseroles etc too] Air fryers are brilliant for a small portion of chicken and nuggets for a 6 year old's tea, or a baking a couple of frozen croissants without putting on the oven. Ad doing them quickly. Slo cookers do casseroles and puddings and soups and are very forgiving if you are late getting home, or don't have time to watch over them. And both are more economical than using the oven. 
Back in 1976, when we were having strikes and power cuts, the blessed St Delia advised us on how to "Save It" by efficient use of our ovens - and her wise words are still useful. [I had a haircut like that and a brown V necked top too, back then] I'm definitely using the slo-cookers and my microwave rather than the oven, this winter. 
What is your best energy saving tip in the kitchen? 
Do you use a microwave, slocooker, or air fryer?




30 comments:

  1. I don't have a slow cooker or air fryer and wouldn't want either. I don't have room or inclination to learn how to use another gadget.
    My microwave gets used a lot - very quick for one person and I can quickly reheat a portion of my batch cooking/frozen meals , suits me fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Microwave reheating of batched cooked meals is doubly energy efficient

      Delete
  2. We don't have an AF or a SC. We only use the microwave for reheating or jacket potatoes or hot chocolate really. Can't really think of much we cook in it (I had some idea it destroys the nutrients) We do use the oven a bit. For some reason the craze of AF makes me loathe to consider it. I'm not into kitchen gadgets though everyone who has one loves it! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're a veg lover, perhaps you should try M-waving your pots and carrots

      Delete
    2. We don't eat many potatoes and carrots! We are more of a tomato, aubergine, courgette, chard, cabbage kind of house! They also taste really boring if done like that!😁

      Delete
    3. I wonder if there's a good SC recipe for a ratatouille type dish...

      Delete
  3. I have a really old crockpot (from the 1970s, and yes, it is avocado green!) which I rarely use since it is a pain to wash; no air fryers or insta pots or anything like that. I do have a rice cooker I use all the time and I cook most of my food on the stove top. I use the microwave mostly to warm up food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your rice cooker is in constant use, Bless!

      Delete
  4. I own all three! A typical meal will involve something cooked in the air fryer or on the hob, and veg cooked in the microwave or on the hob. I used a slow cooker a lot in the 70s but not so much now - it is too big for the two of us and I gave my little one to my daughter. She uses it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My larger ones get used for entertaining or batch cooking

      Delete
    2. I have a glass casserole dish that fits uncovered inside my slow cooker and will take a couple of chops, but I usually braise them in a small covered frypan for a long time.

      Delete
  5. I use my slow cooker and my air fryer all the time and very rarely have the oven on now because the air dryer doubles as a mini oven, I have very limited kitchen worktop space so both are in the utility room/back porch. That means that both steam and smells are kept out of the kitchen. And Christmas puds are re-heated out of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have recently discovered baked potatoes and roast potatoes done in the slow cooker. What a revelation! Howe$^================
    (Thanks Jim the cat) However, I've broken the dish in my slow cooker. I'm trying to find a replacement but with little luck. I may have to buy another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never cooked jacket or roast spuds in the SC. Must investigate that. CS often have slow cooker pots - but of course you'd need to find the right size

      Delete
  7. My slow cooker (1970s) just gave up the ghost last year. Can't complain about almost 50 years of service, especially when it seems that most products made these days self-destruct whenever the (short term) warranty period runs out. I do use a microwave (mostly to reheat) and also an Instant Pot (which effectively replaces the slow cooker). Love that I can make things like a spaghetti meal in one pot in about 20 minutes. Have to admit, I'm not all that fond of cooking these days. But, like you, I don't want any more devices on the kitchen counters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half a century's use from a SC definitely justified the original purchase imho

      Delete
  8. I bought myself an Instant Pot multi cooker when they first appeared, mainly to replace my aged Pressure Cooker which had finally bitten the dust!
    My mum had used a pressure cooker for donkey's years, and I asked for one as a wedding gift.
    The Instant pot is a great pressure cooker, and a lot less likely to throw the contents over the kitchen!
    It is also a slow cooker, but I find it's not quite slow enough, so have kept my old 3.5 l crock pot.
    I also have an air fryer, and I love it! It's so fast and convenient, especially on the three evenings per week when I cook for grandson after school. It also makes microwave baked potatoes far tastier, 10 mins microwave, followed by 10 mins air frying, delicious! It gets a LOT of use!
    I admit to being a gadget fanatic, but I have never been tempted by an electric potato peeler, that's a step too far, even for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're really getting value from your AF. Electric potato peelers, and citrus juicers are on my "Never!" list too

      Delete
  9. I do jacket spuds in microwave and crisp skins under grill. Also a big fan of slow cooker. Chilli, bolognaise, casseroles etc. Always cook for 4 and freeze half. Microwave for most veg and reheating. If I use the oven I try and do the whole meal so meat, roast spuds and tray of roast veg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I fill up the oven as much as possible too. I've found the comments here about Mwave the jacket spuds then crisp up somewhere else very varied and interesting!!

      Delete
  10. I don't have a slow cooker or an air fryer, but I do have a Remoska which saves me from having to put on the main oven for all but the largest of things. I have just chosen a microwave off Alan as this year's Christmas present, so I will be able to reheat a lot more of my meals instead of using the hob. I was sharing his and going through to heat things up but with all the bad weather recently both me and my meals were getting wet!!

    I remember dressing just like that picture of Delia, the seventies were just so brown, tan and beige weren't they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remoskas were introduced by Lakeland some years ago, I know they were very popular among my friends with caravans!

      Delete
  11. If I had to choose between my small air fryer and my large slow cooker, the slow cooker would win hands down. It is great when the family come and I don't want to spend too much time in the kitchen. I find that it is fun to combine various ingredients and let the cooker do the work. Even for two of us I can make food with extras for the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking at all these comments, it does seem that an AF is useful for small quantities in a hurry, and SC for larger meals when you have time...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love my slow cooker. We use two on Christmas day. One for gammon and one for a turkey crown. Put them in first thing. No pressure re cooking times because they are ready when you are and this leaves the oven free for all the frippery and extras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the great virtue of the SC is the patience "Ready when you are" (plus added space for frippery)

      Delete
  14. Dug out my old slow cooker (Cordon Bleu model, if you please!Wedding present 1979!). Surprised how well it's survived and still cooking as good. Made Bologneses sauce last week and was surprisingly just as tasty as standing at hob stirring occasionally! It's like having my own little chef in the kitchen!Also butter chicken was so tender.Definitely will be using all winter.No space/ need for an airfryer as previously mentioned!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!