Sunday 17 December 2023

Advent Sunday 3

JOY. I found a poem, written by Maya Angelou, specifically for this third Sunday of Advent. I had never thought of connecting Job and Joy before...

JUST LIKE JOB

My Lord, My Lord,
Long have I cried out to Thee
In the heat of the sun,
The cool of the moon
My screams searched the heavens for Thee.
My God,
When my blanket was nothing but dew.
Rags and bones were all I owned.
I chanted Your name, just like Job.

Father, Father,
My life give I gladly to Thee
Deep rivers ahead
High mountains above
My soul wants only Your love
But fears gather round like wolves in the dark
Have You forgotten my name?
Oh, Lord, come to Your child.
Oh, Lord, forget me not.

You said to lean on Your arm - and I’m leaning
You said to trust in Your love - and I’m trusting
You said to call on Your name - and I’m calling
I’m stepping out on Your word.

You said You’d be my protection,
My only and glorious saviour
My beautiful Rose of Sharon,
And I’m stepping out on Your word 
Joy, joy -Your word.
Joy, joy - the wonderful word of the Son of God.

You said that You would take me to glory
To sit down at the welcome table
Rejoice with my mother in heaven
And I’m stepping out on Your word.

Into the alleys
Into the byways
Into the streets
And the roads
And the highways
Past rumour mongers
And midnight ramblers
Past the liars and the cheaters and the gamblers
On Your word, on your word.
On the wonderful word of the Son of God.
I’m stepping out on Your word.

15 comments:

  1. Lovely x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m a fan of Maya Angelou but had never read this poem. Thank you for sharing it on the third Sunday of Advent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was new to me too - and lovely that it was specifically written for this 3rd Sunday

      Delete
    2. Forgot to put my name-sorry. Catriona

      Delete
  3. A lovely poem, thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very new to me, but beautiful. Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen and amen.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely poem! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so beautiful! Kx

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!