Tuesday 19 December 2023

Creased Up

 Well Monday didn't go as planned - after the Carol Service, I collected some shortbread form my friend. She had made it for the craft group [and frozen it] earlier in the week - then gone down with Covid - please could I deliver it on Monday. Fine! I said - only I woke on Monday with sneezes and sniffles and generally under par. I couldn't go and cough all over my friends...
I went round to the venue half an hour early, and delivered our foodstuffs and Janet gave me my 3d Xmas card to hang in my tree. It has jelly beans inside. We were supposed to take a craft idea, and Bob had suggested I demonstrated an Oppenheimer Box, on the grounds that it is such a useful thing and I am always making them out of bits of paper.
This seemed a good idea. I thought I would show three models - none of which is classic origami, because they need rectangles not squares.
These three items are so easy to do - and over Christmas will keep the children occupied. Rosie has been asking about Waterloo recently - it is an odd name for a station after all! Liz has explained about Napoleon and Wellington, so we can make hats for dress up
Jess loves having a bowl of water and blowing paper boats round [haven't tried that with George yet] The little boxes are great for holding small toys, sweets, etc.
You can recycle all sorts of paper for these models [newspapers make great hats for generals]  

Kirsten gave a tutorial for a flexagon last week, so here are my instructions for these three little models, shamelessly borrowed from the net. 
The finished Oppenheimer box has a base exactly ¼ the size of the original sheet. An A6 size piece of paper makes a hat the right size for Barbie.  Waitrose magazines are a lovely source of coloured pages. How you decorate your models is up to you - feathers or rosettes in the hats - anchors, flags. skull and crossbones on the boats. A staple or piece of sellotape will hold models together for a little longer. 




REMEMBER  
YOU MUST USE RECTANGLES NOT SQUARES OF PAPER 
If it is good enough for Margot Leadbetter...






Atishoo!! Today has an unplanned emergency dental visit - my filling dropped out at lunchtime yesterday . I am definitely falling to bits.



16 comments:

  1. I hope your cold gets better, soon! I know to make the boat you've shown, but, not the hat or the box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I get a chance in the holiday, will give these a go. One more wake up after today. CBC and I were so tired this morning after his Nine lessons and Carols last night (which was brilliant). Got to get my room sorted for the holiday and prepare newsletter articles on our performances after school. All good but I'm tired!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love a trad 9L&C service! Hope end of term is festive and fun ..and you get some proper rest and relax time afterwards 👍❤️

      Delete
  3. I have a paper box like that in the top drawer of my work table. I just open the drawer and sweep all the snipped threads and tiny scraps of paper into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so useful as "crumb catchers" for paper craft, stitching etc

      Delete
  4. I too have a sore throat and the runny nose but fingers crossed that is all it will be. Thanks for the box instructions-I love making boxes of all kinds! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really useful design. One year I was working in an office and there was an impromptu buffet lunch (boss got packets of nibbles from nearby M&S) I made lots of serving bowls using stuff from scrap paper box (in those days our very wasteful admin team only copied on one side of paper, and always did half a dozen extras "in case" - there was no shortage of resources)

      Delete
  5. Hope you don’t get Covid! I have had a very rough day and most of my family have it It has messed up all our Christmas plans and seeing new grandaughter born today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on the new baby girl!! May she bring much joy to you all - hope everyone is well again soon so you can be family together!!

      Delete
  6. Hope you feel better soon and all goes well at the dentist. Your craft ideas are fantastic (as usual).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still sniffly, but just back from my wonderful dentist who has fixed my tooth on a temp basis, and he will reassess after Christmas. I suspect that it will have to be extracted soon though...this is at least the 4th time it has been re-filled. And it's over 60 after all!

      Delete
  7. Ooh I feel for you over the dental stuff, I've recently had lengthy and expensive dental treatment and I've got a sneaky feeling all is not perfect yet! No caramels for me over xmas or ever again I fear. Get well soon x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is years since I ate caramels, toffees or anything like that!! At least you and I are fortunate to have dentists. So many people can't access treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you will be well for Christmas and that the tooth will hang on. I've never met a dentist who willingly extracts a tooth that is a possible source of future income! 😀
    Our tree now has lights, a star and a small picture of adult Jesus just under the star, a tradition I copied from a friend years ago. Half the ornaments are hung in place, but I ran out of steam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will chew on the right side of my mouth for the next few weeks! And there is a lot of money involved in replacement teeth (implants/partial dentures etc) Your Jesus picture is an interesting tradition I've not heard of before.

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!