Tuesday 12 December 2023

Hot Fuzz? *

It's the time of the year when the Pantone Color Company announces its new shade for the coming year. Last year it was Magenta.  And this year, they have chosen - I kid you not - one called Peach Fuzz. The launch statement says

PANTONE 13-1023 Peach Fuzz captures our desire to nurture ourselves and others. It's a velvety gentle peach tone whose all-embracing spirit enriches mind, body, and soul. 

 "At a time of turmoil in many aspects of our lives, our need for nurturing, empathy and compassion grows ever stronger as does our imaginings of a more peaceful future. We are reminded that a vital part of living a full life is having the good health, stamina, and strength to enjoy it” says company vice president Laurie Pressman, adding “We needed a colour whose gentle lightness and airy presence lifts us into the future," 

Here are a some press pictures - a fluffy peachy bird, a peachy princess. and absurdly fluffy lounge setting, and the shade card.

You can guarantee that a photo will always be found of Kate wearing the shade. Many reports this week show shots of her in a very peachy coat - but is is at least 5 years old, as she's in a maternity dress, with a generous baby-bump.
I'm not sure I am going to buy any new clothes or redecorate [ the walls of our bathroom are already a peachy shade]

Many on social media have agreed with the pick, describing it as beautiful and refreshing. Others panned the colour as boring, out-of-touch and unflattering. One said the peach is "a very democratic shade considering it doesn't look good on anyone." Another critic wrote"The world is neither peachy nor fuzzy anymore. Pity," 

Leatrice Eisemann, Director of the company says "In seeking a hue that echoes our innate yearning for closeness and connection, we chose a colour radiant with warmth and modern elegance. A shade that resonates with compassion, offers a tactile embrace, and effortlessly bridges the youthful with the timeless" 

Sadly, |I am afraid that it reminds me of that colour which the late, great Shirley Conran [author of Superwoman"] always described as "Corset Pink"

[*apologies to anyone who thought this post would review Simon Pegg's 2007 Cop Comedy]

22 comments:

  1. Funnily enough, I have an upcoming(ish) TARDIS Tuesday which utilizes the colour (sort of). I have always liked peach. My best friend Lucy and I had matching peach nighties and my favourite Ewok, Kneessaa wore a peach-hued hood. Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UPDATE: I am in posession of a Fuzzy Peach, pleated satin evening gown! I ordered a smaller size of that sequin sparkly dress from a seller on Vinted....who accidentally sent me this peach number by mistake!!!

      Delete
    2. Can it be transformed into a Whovian Cosplay Outfit? Such as a Kneessaa Hooded Cloak (or are you too tall to dress as an ewok?)

      Delete
  2. Not a colour I would chose to wear but it would be a gentle colour for walls. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! Corset pink exactly! Doesn’t suit me though, too wishy-washy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corset Pink! Exactly! It isn't a very attractive colour, too wishy washy, not very flattering on pale skin either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a simply cut longline collarless cashmere jacket in this colour which I used to wear over a black jersey slim fitting dress to work when I was pregnant. I was slim and ‘all baby’ when pregnant! More recently I have worn it with very old but NOT holey Levi jeans. I think the colour works well if you have a warm skin tone (like Kezzie!) - my daughter used to say I had apricot skin! I bought it in December 1991 from an upmarket boutique in Cobham on the day I heard I had completed on the sale of my house. We had already bought and moved into our new house so I was juggling two mortgages. It was late night Christmas shopping in Cobham, we had just moved to Effingham and I was having my very short hair cut by a new hairdresser after work. I remember all this as if it was yesterday, but ask me what I did last week and I wouldn’t have a clue! Sarah in Sussex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this story! Especially that you still have that jacket after 30+ years, and remember all the details. Like you, I have clear OLD memories, but forget the newer ones!!

      Delete
  6. I'm rushing off to my hairdresser!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Oh I hope not, your beautiful silver locks suit you much better than a fuzzy peach 'buzz cut'

      Delete
  7. Shirley Conran is still with us, although aged 91. We once painted our bedroom peach and I hated it, had to re-paint the next day and it took two coats of white to cover it. Hugs Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, my apologies to Ms C [ should have checked up before posting] We repainted our lounge darkish blue once. I insisted we repainted it a lighter colour, as it was too dark for me to see my sewing!!

      Delete
  8. The new colour looks suspiciously like the paint we chose some years ago for our kitchen/family room, which was supposed to have a slightly more orange tone, but the painter went and had the wrong shade mixed! Actually it isn't bad on a sunny day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My late husband said my face had peach fuzz.
    He was not wrong. Lesley

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!