Thursday 14 December 2023

Christmas Crackers

I'm definitely crackers to have done the party last night, I have less energy than I used to. It was brilliant, the team worked hard, but lots of thinking-on-my-feet [like when 32 book in but 41 turn up] But all went well, and we were home by 6 with a fish&chip supper! Thanks for all the great comments yesterday. Today I shall take things at a gentler pace. 

Just a few things that have made me pause for a moment this week
WOW!
In the autumn, my bro gave me a pepper plant. It had been given to him at the start of the summer, and was just leaves. I trimmed it and kept it in the greenhouse. It produced a green pepper. I moved it to the kitchen window. And yesterday I turned it round and look! a red pepper - such festive colours! [Adrian says I can eat it if I like]
WHERE?
We were expecting a delivery - and thought we might be out. The company offered the option of "a trusted neighbour, or a safe place on your property". 

So I asked my friend across the road , saying "but if you are out, I shall ask them to put the box next to Baby Jesus in his manger"
WHAT???
Yesterday morning I went out, and discovered our wall had been knocked down. Possibly someone struggling to turn round or reverse out of the close [Too many cars parked at the end again!] The top suspects are the binmen - or  The Lions and Santa on his sleigh in the dark last night. 
AWWW!
I have a wooden nativity set, for children to play with. I also have a crocheted tree coaster [thanks to a blogfriend] Last weekend little Jess was here playing with the little figures. 

She carefully folded the tree and draped it over the manger, and declared

"It's a blanket for the Baby Jesus"

Has anything made you smile, laugh or sigh lately?


23 comments:

  1. The pepper is impressive!
    How annoying re the wall. A girl I used to learn piano with was always having her wall knocked down.
    Jess is sweet and creative!
    I'm too tired to think of anything to add! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were considering removing the wall completely - but not until after Christmas.

      Delete
  2. That's annoying about the wall. There used to be a notorious pub nearby, a few roads away. Now demolished! One night the roisterers discovered that the low brick walls along our front gardens all had no foundations and about 20 unlucky people woke to find their wall had been pushed over as a block. Luckily they didn't make it as far as our house.
    How sweet to make a blanket! It's the perfect shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little story of Jess and a blanket for baby Jesus made me smile-children’s minds work in wondrous ways. The wall break is very annoying and would probably be safer removed by you. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children find Nativity Sets so fascinating. I remember the year Rosie added in a little Muppet Swedish Chef ( a McDos Freebie) because someone needs to cook food for the Wise Men, they've travelled a long way & Mary and Joseph were busy with the baby!

      Delete
    2. My cousin's little boy put Baby Jesus in his Eddie Stobart lorry, to fetch more hay!
      Lynn P

      Delete
  4. How lovely of Jess to use the blanket. Rosie's idea is equally adorable. No much is bringing a smile to my face of late but yesterday a telephone engineer turned up, on time and was such a charming young man too. It made my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Workers who are [a] on time and [b] charming will always brighten the day! And my parcel arrived safely and slightly early

      Delete
  5. I'm catching up with blog posts so will be reading in a moment what it was you were doing yesterday...... sounds interesting......
    Love the blanket for baby Jesus x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Jess decided to cover Baby Jesus. It reminded me that we need to comfort Jesus and care for Him, in the vulnerable people we encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the Baby Jesus, such a simple design.
    Sorry to hear about the wall but as long as you are planning to take it down anyway it will sort of force you to do it sooner rather than later!
    I was so worried (after being flooded two years ago) about getting our gutters cleared of leaves.
    I was so thankful that the workers came yesterday instead of the original date of Dec 27th, that and having the drains checked is my Christmas gift to myself= peace of mind, JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the gutters done BEFORE Christmas is brilliant. Peace of mind about domestic issues is important. I'm glad you have those things sorted ❤️

      Delete
  8. Green peppers are not as hot as red peppers, so beware!
    Sorry about the damage to the wall, but some has given you and Bob a head start!
    How sweet to be able to enjoy the kindness are caring of Jess' idea for the blanket.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad the party turned out well (but, of course it would, with you organizing it!). Yes, do rest today!
    The pepper looks lovely! Too bad about the wall, but, if you were planning to take it down, anyway, I guess someone started it for you?
    Love Jess's repurposing the crocheted tree for a blanket for Baby Jesus! Love Rosie's Swedish chef addition to the Nativity - I think that's what you need for your Nativity, next year! Someone to cook for the Wise Men and the shepherds, not to mention Mary and Joseph!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps I could wheel bobs BBQ round and stand a chef behind it...it might confuse the neighbours

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my I'd forgotten all about that crocheted 🎄! I'm quite impressed with myself! Glad Jess and Baby Jesus could make use of it!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your crochet skills are way beyond mine, The red and green circular mat is under my Christmas cactus.

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!