Monday 4 December 2023

Two Tyred?

It has been a rather busy few days, and we still haven't quite finished putting up the Nativity Scene. We were outside in the freezing snowy weather on Saturday morning. Stepladders and power tools...and interesting comments from passers by.

I was chatting to my neighbour's carer, and she said how pleased she was to see it again - apparently last year her granddaughter was fascinated by the manger scene.
I said to my other neighbour - walking her beautiful husky, that I wondered why I made life so complicated - other women were just icing cakes and making mince pies - not dressing wise men in the garage!
In the afternoon we went over to the chapel to help decorate it - lots of trees and windowsills It looks lovely. 
Saturday night it was utterly freezing at the Village Carols. Our neighbour Pete reprised his usual seasonal role.[That snowy white beard is all his own!] We sat well to the front, and I kept my hat on, as my ears were so cold! We'd left our car outside my bro's house and were grateful for the warming cups of tea they gave us afterwards.
However we've realised my car has a slow puncture in one tyre - it keeps going down. So I'm off to KwikFit this morning to get both rear tyres replaced.
Then back to all the other tasks which are piling up.

Here's the link [I hope] to the Advent piece from Philips comment yesterday 




26 comments:

  1. The nativity looks excellent! That's a beautiful church but hard to heat evenly I bet! The church we did our concert in on Saturday had this wonderful grates near the lady chapel that blasted out hot air which we all huddled on during our breaks but in our seats it was v cold. Luckily I'd come prepared and was wearing 2 cashmere jumpers, wool gilet, fur scarf, cashmere handwarmers and fleece-lined boots plus wool beret so I was fine but everyone else froze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many places open as a Warm Hub in winter. I feel our parish church could qualify as a Cold Hub. It must be hard for church musicians like yourself to keep warm

      Delete
  2. Our ManShed made a lovely, new, raised, wooden, lit, straw floored, glassfronted display for the Nativity scene. Very well done! Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh! Can you email me a photo please

      Delete
    2. Angela-I have sent you two photos of the Hamilton Men’s Shed stable for a life sized Nativity. Check spam too.

      Delete
    3. Thank you - It is amazing!! That camel!!đŸ«

      Delete
  3. Nativity scene looking good. Well done. Your neighbours will enjoy it and I bet you get lots of visitors too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely nativity scene and all the trees look very festive too. Glad you were able to have a reviving cuppa after the cold carol service. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful church, but I do imagine it would be hard to heat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am grateful for our warm and cosy chapel

      Delete
  6. Nativity scene looks great, such efforts you do go to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder if it is worth it, then a couple of positive comments, and I know it is!

      Delete
  7. That’s a very smart wise man. Top marks for working in the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean the smart wise man with the fancy robes, or the one with woolly hat and power drill?

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the pattern for the christmas mini sweaters. I have made a few now. Tried to send a photo but no luck. Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well done. Good to know you've already made a few

      Delete
  9. You know those little take bags of hay/straw that you can buy for small creatures well, one of those scattered on the manger's floor would look really authentic! Just to add to your workload!It all looks great though and brilliant effort in those temps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW there is a bag of straw in the workshop somewhere, I just havent located it yet!!

      Delete
  10. How lovely that looks, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Nativity scene looks lovely, and you must be cheered by the positive comments. Our local church are holding their Christmas tree festival and collect donations for the foodbank. Hugs Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good thing to do - but so sad it is necessary

      Delete
  12. It's wonderful that you have this ongoing tradition of a life-size creche that attracts people from other places. We all know about the over the top lighting displays but this thrills the soul as well as the eyes! Love the litany, I shall play it again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have been busy! The Nativity scene is looking good!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!