Monday 18 December 2023

Round And About At Christmas


An early start Saturday - first some essential post, and paying in a cheque at the PO. How rarely do we have cheques now, and often Bob pays them in online with his phone. This one was too scribbled to be legible so had to be done 'properly'. My paying in book was started in 2014 and is nowhere near finished. 
Then on to nearby Bawdeswell for a Wreath Fair.  I'd not come across this  idea before. Villagers make and display wreaths, and you can buy them for your home
 - a fundraiser for the church. There were lovely floral arrangements decorating the building too. as well as round wreaths
This guy in the splendid Xmas jumper, told me all about the building - not at all like most other Norfolk parish churches. It deserves a whole post on its own. Like our chapel in Kirby Muxloe, it is a replacement for an older place of worship destroyed in WW2.
But back to the Wreaths - they were various prices from £15 - £45 I think. Also on sale were craft items, cakes and chutneys. And, rather unexpectedly, a lot of Emma Bridgewater merchandise [mugs, plates, cork coasters etc] at very reduced prices. [EB has lived in Norfolk for some years] 
I did enjoy talking to the lady with embroidery, and Nessa with her needlefelting, and walking round the craft stalls
I forgot to take a picture of the knitwear ladies. I was tooo busy writing down some info for them. They has some BSJ [baby surprise jackets] on sale. "I've knitted these" I said. And they said they wished they had a larger pattern for children and adults. I asked what pattern they used - it appears to be a bootleg photocopy from somebody's knitting group. I said that they could buy the pukka pattern from I-Knit London  . It is not cheap - but does have baby, child and adults sizes plus an optional hood. They were genuinely interested, and fascinated by the story of Elizabeth Zimmerman, and her alleged fondness for knitting whilst riding pillion! Here is Nessa needlefelting


The next few hours were spent at our chapel, while Bob wrestled with the computer system - he felt as if he was going round in circles, and unfortunately some issues with Zoom currently remain unresolved.
I had a sore throat Sunday and stayed home. 
Continuing the round theme, I've made some Cranberry Swirls [thank you Bless] to take to my Craft Group Xmas Get Together today. So incredibly easy - and I had some IKEA cake cases, and pink glacé icing to make them even more festive


 







22 comments:

  1. Sounds like the wreath fair was more than just wreaths! The flower arrangements are lovely!
    Yay! You made the cranberry swirls and they look really nice with the pink icing! Hope your sore throat is much better, now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bless! I'm really pleased with my Swirls - such a simple recipe and they taste good (they aren't all going to the Craft Group - Bob and I sampled them last night)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cranberry swirls look very jolly!
    The wreath fair sounds a lovely idea!
    Did you buy anything? Nice to pass your advice on too.
    I'm going to have to do something about getting some presents for Mum and family- not really done anything yet! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a tiny ornament for my tree. And a very good cup of coffee + cake for just £1:50. I've gone for quite a few "foodie" gifts, plus gift vouchers this year. I don't want to spend money on something which isn't really wanted, or useful/edible.

      Delete
  4. I really need to see if there are any craft groups around my area, that I could join.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made new friends and learnt new skills. Win-win 😊

      Delete
  5. Those crafts and wreaths, what a great idea, agree about foodie gifts, I'm trying to avoid giving landfill gifts, I've made marmalade, soap and lip balms this year
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely selection of crafts and well done for just looking. I hope your craft group went well and the goodies were enjoyed. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly my cold got much worse overnight so sent apologies - I didn't want to sneeze and spread germs. But I did deliver my tin of swirls, and my friends shortbread (she has covid) early this morning

      Delete
  7. How fortunate you are to live close to such wonderful crafts fairs!
    How a computer-savvy chapel member can help Bob with the computer bothers.
    Those cranberry swirls look delicious and I've copied the recipe (thank you, Bless and Ang!
    Hope you are back in good health very, very soon.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you feel better soon. There's a fair few colds about my son and covid too as my son and daughter can both testify. Luckily they are more or less recovered now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just keep away from your children until they are better K, you definitely don't want to catch anything

      Delete
  9. Don't talk to me about the Post Office! I've just had to shell out £4.20 to send a small Xmas card to my bestie in NZ all because there was a tiny token on the card the size of a one pence piece so it had to go 'special' delivery. I felt totally profiteered!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry meant to say get better quickly Ang.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like there were some lovely things at the wreath fair. I hope you recover soon from the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting fair to visit! When I read of all the places that you visit, I have to remind myself how small England is, and the population density. We are just so far and spread out in Canada, except in the cities! I hope you will be well for Christmas. You did a good job on the cranberry swirls. I am tempted to make another batch of cranberry sauce now, as the present one is waiting for the turkey. 🦃

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes we are fortunate to have so many places relatively close at hand

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!